Register Now
killamch89

Starfield Gameplay Deep Dive

I must say that Starfield looks really impressive from the deep dive. The ability to customize and commandeer your own ship and crew is pretty amazing and the space fight looks good as well. You can travel through space and there's 1000 planets to explore?! The base game looks amazing and if executed properly, could be game of the year - my imagination started running wild when I started to imagine this game with mods. What do you think of the Starfield deep dive? Besides it kind of looking like no man's sky with combat, action and a lot more customization options.

I for one do find myself getting more exited, but still intend to keep my expectations in check and this game at arm's length given Bethesda's track record. I'm impressed by the sheer scale of this whole thing and admire it's ambition.

A couple of induvial points I wanted to bring up that stood out to me.

It looks like they're stepping away from the "unique" weapons thing that we've seen done a lot in Fallout and TES and instead just giving you a large verity of weapons that you can customise them to suit you needs in specific situation and to suit play style and skills, and to me that's a good move. The companion system looks very similar to what we saw in Fallout 4, just expanded and integrated into the ship and it's mechanics in a way that reminds me of the Lieutenant's mechanic from AC Odyssey and I'm fine with that.

I too love the customisation. It seams like you can change both the function and appearance of your ship by how to customise it. That's going to be a lot of fun to play around with. Because somebody will, if you purposefully make your ship look like a great big flying cock, just know that you're a lot like your own penis. Not big and even less clever. Looks like they've learned some valuable lessons from Fallout 4 when it comes to the outpost building mechanics and that's good because that feature was horrid in Fallout 4, especially for console players. So again, nice work.

But of course, the biggest concern with any Bethesda game, will it... you know... work? They didn't even address this in this showcase, they are not even claiming this game will work OK. Considering that while showcasing Fallout 76 Tod Howard infamously said to the world "It just works" makes me wonder. The systems in place look mostly like the kinds of things Bethesda has used a lot in the past with a few things thrown in like the space combat, but thankfully that and the other new things don't look overly complicated. Having said that, they do seam to be using these systems on a scale way beyond what even Bethesda have done before. So given thier track record, not to mention the fact Bethesda's Creation Engine is looking very much like Mr House;

1115852618_maxresdefault(1).thumb.jpg.f43582fd727239b9ca420a70f3aa8e56.jpg

I'm choosing to remain less than optimistic. In my opinion for a AAA, next gen game in 2023 this is not exactly the best looking game in the world either, especially considering what we've been seeing with Unreal Engine 5 recently. But like I said, this is Bethesda, so perhaps pegging back the graphics a bit would be for the best. One thing I'm really not sure about is how this procedural generation thing will work with the hand designed environments with another system to add locations like enemy outposts and... to be honest, that just sounds like something to go wrong.

If this does work as advertised, this could be game of the decade potential, so come on Bethesda and please don't fuck this up.

Edited by Shagger

14 hours ago, Shagger said:

I for one do find myself getting more exited, but still keep to keep this game at arm's length given Bethesda's track record. I'm impressed by the sheer scale of this whole thing and admire it's ambition.

A couple of induvial points I wanted to bring up that stood out to me.

It looks like they're stepping away from the "unique" weapons thing that we've seen don a lot in Fallout and TES and instead just giving you a large verity of weapons that you can customise them to suit you needs in specific situation and to suit play style and skills, and that's a good move. The companion system looks very similar to what we saw in Fallout 4, just expanded and integrated into the ship and it's mechanics in a way that reminds me of the Lieutenant's mechanic from AC Odyssey and I'm fine with that.

I too love the customisation. It seams like you can change both the function and appearance of your ship by how to customise it. That's going to be a lot of fun to play around with. Because somebody will, if you purposefully make your ship look like a great big flying cock, just know that you're a lot like your own penis. Not big and even less clever. Looks like they've learned some valuable lessons from Fallout 4 when it comes to the outpost building mechanics and that's good because that feature was horrid in Fallout 4, especially for console players. So again, nice work.

But of course, the biggest concern with any Bethesda game, will it... you know... work? They didn't even address this in this showcase, they are not even claiming this game will work OK. Consider that while showcasing Fallout 76 Tod Howard infamously said to world "It just works" makes me wonder. The systems in place look mostly like the kinds of things Bethesda has used a lot in the past with a few things thrown in like the space combat, but thankfully that and the other new things don't look overly complicated. Having said that, they do seam to be using these systems on a scale way beyond what even Bethesda have done before. So given thier track record, not to mention the fact Bethesda's Creation Engine is looking like very much Mr House;

1115852618_maxresdefault(1).thumb.jpg.f43582fd727239b9ca420a70f3aa8e56.jpg

I'm choosing to remain less than optimistic. I my opinion for a AAA, next gen game in 2023 that it's not actually the best looking game in the world either, especially considering what we've been seeing with Unreal Engine 5 recently. But like I said, this is Bethesda, so perhaps pegging back the graphics a bit would be for the best. One thing I'm really not sure about is how this procedural generation thing will work with the hand designed environments with another system to add locations like enemy outposts and... to be honest, that just sounds like something to go wrong.

If this does work as advertised, this could be game of the decade potential, so come on Bethesda and please don't fuck this up.

This game could potentially have a longer lifespan than Skyrim if Bethesda delivers on almost everything promised at launch. On another note, I can't believe they brought back the annoying adoring fan from Oblivion into Starfield. I like some of the gameplay mechanics such as having to prioritize ship resources on powering the weapons or powering the thrusters. Reminds me of Star Trek - I know I'm going to be a mix of space bounty hunter and gatherer. The only thing I that slightly disappointed me is that there was no form of mechs in-game but I know modders will add that just like in Fallout 4. The other thing is that I'd want to command a fleet of ships so that I could plan whole raids but maybe they'll include it via mods as well.

16 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

On another note, I can't believe they brought back the annoying adoring fan from Oblivion into Starfield.

I can see what they're doing, they probably feel that the adoring fan has become been endearing through nostalgia, and for some people that may be true, but for me he was annoying then and he's annoying now.

On 6/12/2023 at 10:08 AM, Shagger said:

I can see what they're doing, they probably feel that the adoring fan has become been endearing through nostalgia, and for some people that may be true, but for me he was annoying then and he's annoying now.

It's a nice touch though. Going over the video again, the modding community is going to have a field day with Starfield. Hell, I myself have some mod ideas so I hope they make the creation tools available relatively quickly so I can mod some ground vehicles into the game.