Jump to content
Register Now
The Blackangel

Translation needed

Recommended Posts

I'm going to assume this is a European thing, but I don't have a goddamn clue what it means.

I'm watching a YouTube video about the dumbest ways to die. In one clip, a guy was driving down the highway with a couple friends along for the ride. He was pulling someone behind him in a wheelchair, and the narrator said someone was on the "bonnet". What the fuck is a bonnet? I know in this case it's not something a woman wears to hide her hair.

Also if someone could give some translations of other things to American English, that would be great. Simply because I'm only fluent in two languages. Those being Bad English and Broken English.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like to see the clip you're refering to so I can certain, but if I understand the context in this a "bonnet" is the British word for "hood", as in the lid for the engine compartment of a car.

Edited by Shagger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Here’s the video. It’s somewhere in the middle of the video. I honestly don’t remember what number it was.




I found the clip. It's number 6, "Convoy of Death" starting at arond 8:35.


It turns out it wasn't a car he was sitting on, it was a lawnmower. Having viewed the clip, I'm led to believe that he "sat on the bonnet", the bonnet being the front of the lawnmower. I can't say I know much about those sit in, drivable lawnmowers (Outside of spefic businessness and the landscaping profession, they're not very common here), so I can't say for sure if I was right or not about it being the engine cover or if it's actually an American term used to label the front of such a lawnmower spesifically. May there is a connection as the front of a car is usually whare the engine is found, but I don't know.


Either way, the "bonnent" in this context is the front of a lawnmower. So... yeah...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Based on my very scientific background of watching enough of The BBC to give it the definite article of The BBC...

On a car bonnet usually means hood (or, if you're my mom you call it the lid-- as far as I can tell this isn't regional, she's just weird). I'd like to 'second' this and say I think it's reasonable to infer that they were on the front of the riding mower in this case.

I'm not aware of anyone calling the front part of a riding mower a hood or a bonnet in the U.S. in casual conversation although it's not something that comes up regularly. Calling it the hood as on a car would probably be readily understood by most people in the U.S. though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's definitely them on a riding mower. That much I knew. But saying a guy was riding on the bonnet, completely confused the hell out of me. I had no idea if he was riding on the top or the bottom of the mower. That's a basic analogy.

Like I said, my only encounter with "bonnet" is something women wear to hide their hair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...