Register Now
Shortie

Do you feel battle royales are being overdone?

Battle Royales have been very popular since the releases of Fortnite and PUBG in which both games started becoming more popular in 2017. Prior to that we had H1Z1 which was a battle royale game released in 2015 that was quite popular but not as popular as some battle royales we see today. 

Now it seems that we are seeing more and more games releasing that are falling under the battle royale genre. 

Do you feel battle royale is being overdone? 

Yes, I feel the battle royale genre has become oversaturated with numerous releases, diluting its originality and allure. This deluge of games has led to a lack of innovation, with titles blending into a sea of similarity. Player bases are fragmented, impacting the overall experience, and developers often rush releases, leading to unpolished gameplay and an overreliance on microtransactions. Despite these challenges, the genre can still evolve by introducing fresh mechanics, unique settings, and fostering community engagement. With creativity and a commitment to quality, developers have the potential to rejuvenate the battle royale genre's appeal in the competitive gaming landscape.

Honestly I think they have been overdone at this point, but I feel they are starting to die off now. Sure you still have the big ones like PUBG and Fortnite but I haven't really been seeing new ones pop up within the last two years or so. Right after the success of PUBG and Fortnite in 2018, that's when I started seeing a bunch of other battle royale games come out and try to reach the success that these two games did. This isn't anything new though, in the 90's there were a ton of anthropomorphic animal platformers coming out to try and compete against Sonic the Hedgehog but ultimately couldn't really top the franchise. There were a few good ones like Crash and Spyro of course, but before the 32 bit era all the 16-bit knockoffs just couldn't beat Sonic.

Yes. It is oversaturated, and some of the thing that gained popularity with them have gotten their way into a bunch of other genres too. We don't need a "Battle Pass" in non-Battle-Royales, IMO. MMO's? I guess I can see some use for it in those, though.

Don't need it for basically ANY other genre except BR and MMORPG's, in my humble opinion.

I don't even play Battle Royales, since they're not really my style of game.