Register Now
Kane99

The Day Before released in early access and it's already a mess

I'm sure you're all aware of the game The Day Before. The one that was started by the studio that was known to fake games in the past. Many gamers had speculated that the game likely wasn't real, after countless trailers that came out, them being accused of ripping off other game trailers like GTA V, COD and even the Last of Us. So many thought it was never going to see the light of day. 

But, it released yesterday, and it's already proven to be a disaster. The game is said to be riddled with bugs, and the game they released wasn't even what gamers expected. It's not an open world game, and many are saying it's an Extraction Shooter. They say the servers are bad, often having trouble getting into a game. And gamers are saying it's not anwhere near an MMO like advertised. So these devs did it again. 

One issue I witnessed was in a tiktok video I watched last night, and in the video a guy was stuck on a save that when he reloaded, it would put him back into a glitch he fell into before. And I don't know if this game has a checkpoint system. 

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-day-before-early-access-launch-is-a-giant-mess/1100-6519774/

This guy goes over some of the problems as well: 

The reviews on steam are not good. Yikes!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1372880/The_Day_Before/

Edited by Kane99

Anyone who has even been casually been following this game and it's bizarre development story probably saw this coming. It's not the MMO that was promised, its now an extraction shooter with 30 players per server. There no zombie hoards as promised, I don't think I've seen a clip with more than 3 or 4 zombies in the same place at the same time. And you know that's by design because of how many bullets it takes to kill a single zombie. There is no mele combat, which is unacceptable for a game of this type. And like you said, bugs galore. The developers shut down and locked out thier Discord as soon as the game launched and it's plain to see why. This is confirmed as a scam. I hope everybody refunded this and that the scumbags behind it get what they deserve.

Edited by Shagger

Doesn't surprise me that this scumbag company who tried to rip off other properties in the past did a sleazy thing again by releasing a completely different game than offered and worst of all it's a bug ridden mess of a game. Sucks for those who were hyped for this game and for those who purchased it thinking it was going to be the product they were offered.

It's been four days since The Day Before, and the developer Fnstastic has just announced that they are shutting down:

image_2023-12-11_192531543.thumb.png.424a50aa3d6add6339e1d6b233684866.png

Clearly, these assholes never intended to support this game. The lied in thier marketing, used a tone of marketplace assts instead of developing them in-house like they said they would, didn't pay developers for thier work and now they're cutting thier losses and running. The release this into early access and now claim that they're using the money made to pay off depts, which FYI is against Steam's terms of service. Money made in early access is supposed to go into supporting the game, not paying off some dickhead's depts.

This was a pure scam and not much more. Even if they have gone over the 2 hour playtime mark, people should be refunded for this because the game will never get any of the promised updates now.

Edited by Shagger

It was far too easy for Fntastic or whoever they are to be able to essentially trick tons of people by purchasing this game being that it's likely just a giant asset flip. Asset flips happen all the time, you'll see a slew of them all over Steam and likely other marketplaces. Usually they are easier to catch because the quality out of the gate is pretty awful, but fntastic did everything in their power it to keep the bad side of gameplay under wraps, at least until the game dropped and they made all of their money. 

But, The Day Before is said to have been a complete asset flip, using paid assets from the Unreal Engine 5. Of course that's not illegal and a lot of devs use these assets. The problem was, it looks like fntastic just tossed these assets together and called it a day. It made it even easier to deceive the audience with how good quality the assets are. So I'm expecting even more asset flip games to pop up on multiple marketplaces soon, if not already. 

Especially now with Unreal Engine 5 making it so much easier to develop games with so many assets available. I think what could happen, is we're going to see more games like The Day Before, drawing interest from gamers with a fancy cinematic trailers, only to release a game with nothing that was advertised. 

I think we're going to see even more asset flips promoted as the next hit game, and it's going to trick more people. 

Edited by Kane99

3 hours ago, Kane99 said:

It was far too easy for Fntastic or whoever they are to be able to essentially trick tons of people by purchasing this game being that it's likely just a giant asset flip. Asset flips happen all the time, you'll see a slew of them all over Steam and likely other marketplaces. Usually they are easier to catch because the quality out of the gate is pretty awful, but fntastic did everything in their power it to keep the bad side of gameplay under wraps, at least until the game dropped and they made all of their money. 

But, The Day Before is said to have been a complete asset flip, using paid assets from the Unreal Engine 5. Of course that's not illegal and a lot of devs use these assets. The problem was, it looks like fntastic just tossed these assets together and called it a day. It made it even easier to deceive the audience with how good quality the assets are. So I'm expecting even more asset flip games to pop up on multiple marketplaces soon, if not already. 

Especially now with Unreal Engine 5 making it so much easier to develop games with so many assets available. I think what could happen, is we're going to see more games like The Day Before, drawing interest from gamers with a fancy cinematic trailers, only to release a game with nothing that was advertised. 

I think we're going to see even more asset flips promoted as the next hit game, and it's going to trick more people. 

Again, I don't understand why you keep making  new threads to discuss the same games. We already have a thread on the The Day Before discussing the controversy, a thread you started BTW. I'm merging this with the thread we already have. I will rename that thread to something more generalised if want (Send me a DM is that is what you want), but please think whether or not a new thread is necessary before post it.

Anyway, addressing the post itself, and The Day Before could end up being a blessing in disguise. Like you said, asset flips happen all the time, but I don't think we've seen a game with this much hype behind it being guilty of it before. Assets flips used to be landmines that one only had to be aware of whilst traversing the fields of Stream's low rent battlefields, filled with obviously low effort, small scale garbage that was never going to attract much attention nor have a profound impact if the games were caught doing it. Now, thanks to The Day Before, the asset flip is is mainstream news with more eyes on the practice than we've seen before, many pf which may not have been aware of the asset flip as a thing. As well as increasing awareness, and given how badly this turned out for Fntastic, this must surely serve a deterrent for other scum buckets with ambitions to try the same thing.

I'll never describe what happened here as a good thing, but good can come out of it. Speaking of which, I've also just learned that publisher Mytona (Or "investor" as they describe themselves) are working with Steam and Fnstastic to offer refunds to everyone, regardless of playtime. Fntastic are still insisting they have made and will never make any money on this. Even if that's true it was clearly not what they had in mind. Here's the video I watched from  LtBuzzLitebeer going through this in detail.