Register Now
Kane99

Can I move my old Xbox One hard drive to a new Xbox One?

I broke my Xbox One this past summer when I decided to clean it out after realizing it was due for a deep cleaning. I want to get another Xbox One at some point, but would I be able to take the hard drive from my old Xbox and add it to the new one? Or would the Xbox not fully recognize it? I just don't want to have to redownload everything. I'm thinking of getting a used Xbox one and putting my HD in it. Would it work? If not, what would I have to do to make my HD recognized? 

You're most likely shit out of luck. The hard drives are physically different, so you most likely won't be able to even insert it into a new console. You are most likely going to have to either lose your data and get a new Xbox, or try to find someone who can repair systems and hope they can get your Xbox going again.

You can't switch drives around on a Xbox One, each hard drive is locked to one mother board. It's stupid if you ask me, since on the 360 you were easily able to switch around hard drives. You're better off trying to get the Xbox One repaired, and uploading your saved games to the cloud if you haven't yet.