Register Now
Kane99

Nintendo Switch emulator Yuzu to be shut down, forced to pay $2.4M to settle lawsuit

I didn't know there was already a Nintendo Switch emulator, but I suppose if it's the one emulator Nintendo takes down, it's going to be this one. Yuzu, the people behind said emulator, was recently sued by Nintendo for what they say is "facilitating piracy at a colossal scale." The team behind Yuzu immediately backed off and closed the program, and will be paying $2.4 million to settle this lawsuit. 

I can see why this one didn't survive long, considering the Switch is still a fairly relevant console and still highly purchased. So if there's an emulator out there, people will find ways of abusing it. And Nintendo isn't going to allow people to circumvent ways of playing popular switch titles. 

Do you think this could hurt emulators for older consoles? Or is this mainly due to the Switch being a current gen console? 

Read the full story about this here - https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/gaming/nintendo-switch-emulator-yuzu-will-utterly-fold-and-pay-24m-to-settle-its-lawsuit/ar-BB1jjERB

Well it looks like another emulator was also affected by this lawsuit, Citra was also affected by this since the same team working on Yuzu was working on this 3DS emulator. It really does suck, emulators aren't tools for piracy, anyone who had the means to back up their Switch games could have used Yuzu to play the games they own on a computer, which would allow for smoother frame rates and a better overall performance. But of course people use emulation for piracy too. I can understand stopping emulation development for a current gen console but for one that isn't even being supported anymore is ridiculous.

23 hours ago, Ravenfreak said:

Well it looks like another emulator was also affected by this lawsuit, Citra was also affected by this since the same team working on Yuzu was working on this 3DS emulator. It really does suck, emulators aren't tools for piracy, anyone who had the means to back up their Switch games could have used Yuzu to play the games they own on a computer, which would allow for smoother frame rates and a better overall performance. But of course people use emulation for piracy too. I can understand stopping emulation development for a current gen console but for one that isn't even being supported anymore is ridiculous.

Technically, this case was settled out of court so it couldn't be properly judged if Nintendo overstepped their boundaries. I guess they probably didn't have the funds to keep fighting this case over a prolonged period but it does really suck.