Register Now
StaceyPowers

"Clear cut" moral choices in games

Do you ever find yourself surprised by how differently you process moral decisions in video games than other people?

Like the other day, I finished Dragon Age: Awakening for the first time, and got curious what other players did in a situation where I thought a moral choice was easy and straightforward. I was surprised that my decision was actually the minority choice.

On the other hand, there are sometimes moral decisions which I’ve struggled over in games which probably seemed clear-cut to others.

Anyone else ever surprised by this sort of thing? I think it’s really cool how you can find out more about the different ways people process their decisions by examining what they do in games.

On 1/10/2019 at 3:13 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Do you ever find yourself surprised by how differently you process moral decisions in video games than other people?

Like the other day, I finished Dragon Age: Awakening for the first time, and got curious what other players did in a situation where I thought a moral choice was easy and straightforward. I was surprised that my decision was actually the minority choice.

On the other hand, there are sometimes moral decisions which I’ve struggled over in games which probably seemed clear-cut to others.

Anyone else ever surprised by this sort of thing? I think it’s really cool how you can find out more about the different ways people process their decisions by examining what they do in games.

I do not like it when the morality choices are straightforward because that is extremely boring - sometimes I choose to be a douche on purpose because the good ending is so...boring. I like it when the choices are very complicated, as it really immerses you in the experience and actually feel like your actions matter.

17 hours ago, killamch89 said:

as it really immerses you in the experience and actually feel like your actions matter.

Ironically, it's sometimes easier to feel like your actions matter more in a video game than in real life--pretty much what they are designed for in some respects, I think. 

1 minute ago, StaceyPowers said:

Ironically, it's sometimes easier to feel like your actions matter more in a video game than in real life--pretty much what they are designed for in some respects, I think. 

Yeah, it is because a huge part of the gameplay experience is immersion and making the player feel some kind of connection to the game world. Without that, most people would stop playing a game after a short period.

4 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Yeah, it is because a huge part of the gameplay experience is immersion and making the player feel some kind of connection to the game world. Without that, most people would stop playing a game after a short period.

I think it's more than that though. I mean, I don't feel a lack of immersion in real life (lol), but I often feel like my actions do not matter to anyone/anything outside myself and my immediate home/family/workplace. Video games are like "significance simulators," designed to make you feel as if you can change the world--even if it is a virtual one.

Edited by StaceyPowers

2 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

I think it's more than that though. I mean, I don't feel a lack of immersion in real life (lol), but I often feel like my actions do not matter to anyone/anything outside myself and my immediate home/family. Video games are like "significance simulators," designed to make you feel as if you can change the world--even if it is a virtual one.

Personally, my life is a bit different. I seem to impact everything I come into contact with but I am the one who usually isn't aware of it until I start paying closer attention to what's going on.