Register Now
skyfire

Valve Confirms Leaked CS:GO Source Code

So the news is confirmed legit. And the source code does gets leaked. But not sure how it wil impact the team and also the final product. 

It is perfectly safe to play the game. And based on news, I think the patches will surely come out too. 

Meanwhile there is some twitter drama as usual. 

You're downplaying this and not stating the full facts. This is serious.

Based on what I saw, it is (or at least was) NOT safe to play the game. In fact, sensible advice steers people away from paying any Valve developed game on steam (and not just CS:GO) until patches are out. This leak didn't threaten personal details stored on Valve's servers, but could allow hackers to access your computer files and install any number of unwanted software on one's personal computer. From ransomware, adware, or aim bots and other cheating software to get your gaming accounts banned.

If my understanding is correct, a development subcontractor working on something with valve was given access to source code for valves security protocols to make their development work on this project possible. The project never came into fruition, but a disgruntled former associate of this subcontracted development company, who was involved with apparently some very toxic and prejudiced underworld gaming communities leaked this code on 4chan out of spike after being fired. This is a really embarrassing thing for Valve as this could have happened any time and the threat have been easily been nullified through patching over the last 2-3 years. Valve being Valve though, they didn't bother, even though they knew former contractors had this source code.

This leaker is the one primarily to blame for this, but this situation was made possible through Valves lack of vigilance in the first place, so they have to be accountable as well. Here's the twitter thread from a representative of this company that this individual once worked with to gain this source code.

valve1.PNG.933ff7e5f30e19250188877512a087f1.PNGvalve2.PNG.7c0514f15854ac5efe21969d61548bf2.PNGvalve3.PNG.e2b7c6f8fb64dc73dc47bf311e32786a.PNGvavle4.thumb.PNG.d3a70d3bfa2830783cf94c9533377a16.PNG

Sooner or later patch was meant to arrive. I don't think it's that serious. Considering game leaks are pretty common in the tencent ecosystem. Almost every of their games are leaked on speed and aim assist cracks side. 

3 hours ago, skyfire said:

Sooner or later patch was meant to arrive. I don't think it's that serious. Considering game leaks are pretty common in the tencent ecosystem. Almost every of their games are leaked on speed and aim assist cracks side. 

Still, best to avoid any Valve developed game on Steam until the all clear is given (if it hasn't already, at this point I haven't heard anything).