Register Now
GUERILLA

Greatest game control scheme abandoned?

I'm real excited about Ghost of tsushima but I'm concerned about the control being too herky-jerky...too RPG...

ESPECIALLY the apparent lack of a cover swap system slaved to a button but solely Reliant on the "stickclick" (R3) a much less "versatile" system!

the greatest control of a 3rd person character was already achieved in history but for some crazy reason I'll never understand they seem to have abandoned this system

Ghost recon future soldier's competitive multiplayer is literally a masterpiece of character control

The way you can run into cover and bounced around corners is simply phenomenal...the series had experimented with sliding and rolling into prone systems that are literally at their Pinnacle in this title but the biggest breakthrough they made was the use of the Run button..NOT A STICK!!!!

There's a phenomenal technique you could use 2 Sprint while looking laterally

you had to pick a cover swap endpoint just beyond your Target and just as you ran for that endpoint you would switch your left thumb over to your look stick and aim your weapon just as you breached their cover...AWESOME!!!!

just like a tactical flanking assault..."cutting the pie"

This system has not been duplicated or replicated as far as I know

Gears of War had a good version

Splinter Cell did it well

.... but without a doubt the absolute Pinnacle of character control was experienced in Ghost Recon Future Soldier competitive multiplayer

The only thing worse than a r3 run is freaking "autopan" or "mandatory camera assist" 

That super annoying garbage where your look is automatically adjusted to your direction of movement so you have to constantly feather the look stick to fight the camera in order to keep an eye on your target a la GTA

UBI...

you have a masterpiece in GRFS

Its a gears ape but even better because of the cover swap and prone slide/roll

AN ABONDENED MASTERPIECE !!!!

I admit Im kinda behind the times

Gears

GRFS

spec ops the line was almost there 

who else used this awesome system?

I get what you're saying, and having a sprint control mapped to a control stick can be very annoying when it's done badly, but It's hard to tell if a similar system to GRFS would work on Ghosts of Tsushima would because it's a very different kind of game. Open world action adventures can use this kind of control more precisely than a cover based shooter because it's more about melee and duck and doge.

Horizon Zero Dawn, for example, also used a sprint toggle mapped to the movement stick, but because it was a toggle instead of a hold, there was no stamina bar so you press it once and just go and relied on more of dodging, melee and precision aiming when fighting at range, it worked fine, and left valuable room to map other controls. HZD I think is more similar to GOT than GRFS is. You're not wrong in what you're saying, but it all depends on the game and, honestly, a control scheme more designed for a cover based shooter I don't think would work that well here.

Yeah, mechanized combat is different but thin kind of control a separate run button independent of the stick provides is a control scheme that just cant be duplicated

One can effectively use the run function as a "glance" in addition to simply running and by "pulsing" your dashes you create a much more realistic type of evasion

Holding a button down to sprint and releasing it to slow is simply far more interactive than a stick click that gives you a generic dash where you cant stop and start for crap

A cardio gauge is something that would really add to the realism 

The camera tightening and shake is also a very immersive and realistic depiction 

7 hours ago, GUERILLA said:

Yeah, mechanized combat is different but thin kind of control a separate run button independent of the stick provides is a control scheme that just cant be duplicated

One can effectively use the run function as a "glance" in addition to simply running and by "pulsing" your dashes you create a much more realistic type of evasion

Holding a button down to sprint and releasing it to slow is simply far more interactive than a stick click that gives you a generic dash where you cant stop and start for crap

A cardio gauge is something that would really add to the realism 

The camera tightening and shake is also a very immersive and realistic depiction 

I'm sorry but for a game like Ghost of Tsushima, which seems to in the same vein as something like Assassins Creed or Horizon Zero Dawn a mechanic like this doesn't make any sense for the following reasons:

1: I don't need cover. Probably the most obvious reason I don't need cover is because I'm not using a gun and neither are they!  Even if there a some ranged weapons like bows and arrows it's more effective to dodge, block or hide behind obstacles while moving forward because I have to close the distance anyway.

2: It's an open world.  Now I'm not saying that these types of sytems can't work in an open field, although it's true that for aforementioned reasons they absolutely don't in game with no shooting.  They work best when moving in a liner path towsrds the objective in a more directed set piece.  In a an open setting where my position could be flanked at any time the last thing I want is a useless auto-cover mechanic sticking me to walls and slowing me down.

3: Melee.  This is probably the biggest flaw with this type of mechanic in a game like this, if I'm using melee almost exclusively why the hell would I want to tether myself to a wall?  It draws back to the other two points of not needing cover and being in an open field where there are no walls most of the time, it's pointless!  In a game without shooting it literally serves no purpose.

3 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I'm sorry but for a game like Ghost of Tsushima, which seems to in the same vein as something like Assassins Creed or Horizon Zero Dawn a mechanic like this doesn't make any sense for the following reasons:

1: I don't need cover. Probably the most obvious reason I don't need cover is because I'm not using a gun and neither are they!  Even if there a some ranged weapons like bows and arrows it's more effective to dodge, block or hide behind obstacles while moving forward because I have to close the distance anyway.

2: It's an open world.  Now I'm not saying that these types of sytems can't work in an open field, although it's true that for aforementioned reasons they absolutely don't in game with no shooting.  They work best when moving in a liner path towsrds the objective in a more directed set piece.  In a an open setting where my position could be flanked at any time the last thing I want is a useless auto-cover mechanic sticking me to walls and slowing me down.

3: Melee.  This is probably the biggest flaw with this type of mechanic in a game like this, if I'm using melee almost exclusively why the hell would I want to tether myself to a wall?  It draws back to the other two points of not needing cover and being in an open field where there are no walls most of the time, it's pointless!  In a game without shooting it literally serves no purpose.

you have to use your imagination more than that movement is applied differently in "shooter" combat but the depth of control is still superior with a button and endpoint cover system 

Cover snapping is a learned skill and has been screwed up a lot because of limited camera Traverse and limited control schemes once they learn to not stop any of your controls while you're snapped into cover it will be perfect

remember some of the coolest features we've ever experienced in video gaming were largely accidental in nature

Splinter cell proved that a cover system is extraordinary useful and in stealth, ghost recon proved it was extraordinary important in stealth/shooters and gears proved it was extraordinary important in Straight Shooters

One of the  best features of a run system based on a button is the ability to pulse your runs like a football player

it would be possible to duplicate this on the stick but you would only run while it was depressed and then stop running when it was released this is possible but it takes away from your movement ability too much because now you're pressing downward so feathering the stick is difficult or impossible

Give me the ghost recon FS character or a gears characters especially and i could run rings the around assassins creed guy 

Literally

I spent the vast majority of my gaming time playing the ghost recon series exclusively and its extraordinary apparent when you go from future Soldier to Wildlands and break point as your characters tactical maneuverability  is RADICALLY less versatile 

Putting run on the stick gives you far less control depth than the separate button ESPECIALLY with the endpoint marker/buttons system

Its an abandoned control scheme that WAS the pinnacle of character control

Video game developers FAIL