Register Now
Kane99

Do you think Nintendo will ever try VR again?

Nintendo may have been one of the first to try VR with their Virtual Boy console that came out in the 90s if I remember correctly. It was a promising little toy, but it wasn't practicle and didn't work all that well. But, couldn't Nintendo revive the Virtual Boy and make a new one that matches the standards of the Oculus Rift or any of the other VR headsets out there? I think it's possible and I would love to see Nintendo revive the brand. 

What do you think?

It's not a bad idea, but I think they're still a little gun shy due to the monumental failure of the Virtual Boy. That thing damaged not only their bank account, but their reputation as well, for a long time. It's one of the many factors in why they worked so hard on the N64. They didn't want to go back to being a playing card company.

But, as gaming progresses and advances, I can foresee Nintendo, PlayStation, and Xbox all three possibly going into the VR market at some point. But also with the success of the Switch, I can also see Nintendo leaving the home console market and focusing strictly on portable systems. Only time will tell though. I mean aside from those that only game on PC, who wasn't happy to have Skyrim and The Witcher on a portable device?

If they do VR, I would love for them to call it the virtual boy 2.0 or something, or just virtual boy. I think it's the best name. Cause I don't see them coming up with like VR Switch or something. 

I think VR is the natural progression we're heading to anyway. If anything, I can see people having little consoles the size of VR headsets, and that's what consoles will be.