Register Now
Kane99

Tennessee professor’s new course explores American history through ‘Red Dead Redemption’ video game

Kind of wish I was in school now days with how video games are today. I'd like to learn about the past through RDR2. 😄 Though I can say I already did! But still, I like the idea of video games being used to teach people. Next they could do games like Call of Duty even. 

I have to say that schools should tread with caution when using video games to teach history. In a dandy world, that is a dandy good idea. But in America, we have the 1619 Project, which teaches history of blacks and slavery; which was recently under attack by trump and republicans trying to whitewash history with the 1776 Commission to replace it because they hate blacks in every form and fashion. So when the door opens to a game like RDR2 to teach history, also opens the door to the game Ethnic Cleansing in some small rural white supremacist town. 

But that's not to say those supremacist punks aren't already watching movies and doing assignments that are geared towards hating blacks. So what impact has that had? I don't know except that our democracy almost fell a month ago. So I ask again, what impact has that had on children over the years??? And when the door is opened to video games, well---that directs attention to a target audience of schools by the white supremacists to develop more games to suit their hating needs. When one side does it, the other will too. And I don't even know what side RDR2 fits on. Maybe there is actual history there without prejudice dialect against blacks. As if we really need any more of that. 

Assassins Creed is loaded with history; why not that? But then again the game is about assassins, which republicans are getting arrested left and right threatening and attempting to kill politicians. So what is a safe history video game in schools? Just the basics with bambi and bunnies. This is not a fine and dandy country anymore. I think this topic is more political then gaming news. That's why I went all political on it. Correct me if I'm wrong.