Register Now
Steerminator

Is it just me, or are people on forums/the internet a lot more mean and short tempered than they used to be?

When I first came here and introduced myself, I mentioned that I was coming from another forum that I had a lot of problems with people on.  I haven't had any problems with people at all here.  Whether that's because there just aren't that many, the forum is much smaller, or people are just by some act of god more mature here, I don't know.  I still visit that other forum.  Not nearly as much, but sometimes I forget how vicious people can be, when a lot of times all I try to do is open up ideas for discussion about how to make a game better.

It really gets to me sometimes.  Most of the time I put a lot of thought into a thread before I start it.  And so often, people just come back with all kinds of snarky jokes, insults, or say stupid shit like, "if you don't like "X" then don't play the game."  Or someone replies with a meme.  My god do I hate that.

Its really got me wondering, because I'm in my mid 30s now, and I remember things being much, MUCH nicer when I was a lot younger.  Then again, I could just be really out of touch with reality due to a huge decline in my interaction with humans over the last 10 years, both online and in real life.  Maybe people are basically the same way they always were, and I'm just not used to dealing with it?

Some of us are genuinely not friendly. I don't post particularly mean spirited posts here, but if you ask around you will find that I'm not particularly popular. Some people have no filter, and just look for someone to bully and/or abuse. I don't have the energy or time for that. It's boring and pointless to me. Maybe they're just an all around asshole. You're always going to find people who are at a forum for reasons other than what the forum was designed for. I've been here almost from the start, and while the staff may have caught it before I saw it, I would be willing to bet that there has been at least one person who has come here looking for a blowjob while they play Mario.

You just need a thick skin, and know when it's more toxic than you're willing to deal with. Everyone's toxicity meter is different. When your meter goes into the red, it's time to leave that shit behind.

The internet are full of all kinds of people with various issues and sometimes they just take it out on anyone they meet. Then there are the people who love to create drama and come on to forums constantly trying to start some kind of drama. The best advice I'd give is to just not take what they say personally.