Register Now
Lämmchen

Have you ever gone hunting?

Have you ever gone hunting? My dad and uncle used to hunt when I was younger and so I got the opportunity to eat all kinds of animals such as deer, squirrel, possum, rabbit, etc....

I have never gone hunting though and haven't even shot a gun. I think if I ever had to do it in an emergency that I would.

1 hour ago, Lämmchen said:

Have you ever gone hunting? My dad and uncle used to hunt when I was younger and so I got the opportunity to eat all kinds of animals such as deer, squirrel, possum, rabbit, etc....

I have never gone hunting though and haven't even shot a gun. I think if I ever had to do it in an emergency that I would.

Nope and I don't intend to either - I like animals so killing them for anything other than self-defense is against my code of ethics.

I grew up a hunter, and have hunted just about everything in Missouri. We used to have what we called a "wildlife dinner" every year. What I've hunted are quail, pheasant, raccoon, possum, whitetail deer, turkey, squirrel, badger, skunk, black bear, rabbit, and copperheads.

I haven't intentionally killed an animal of any kind in more than 10 years except a deer. That one was a skunk, and I only shot it because it was eating our dog food and scaring the hell out of our dogs. If you don't count the skunk, I haven't killed anything intentionally in more than 20 years. And I have no intentions of killing anything unless it's suffering.

The deer was a mercy killing. I was out for a drive one day when a couple does ran across the road in front of me. I stopped and watched them. They ran up a hill on the other side of a creek that ran by the road. The first one made it up the hill just fine, despite slipping a couple times. The other one didn't she got about halfway up and then slipped or tripped on something and fell all the way down the hill into the creek. I went to check on her and she was all broken up. She had a compound fracture in a leg. The bone was completely exposed. By the way she was breathing I could tell she had a punctured lung, and she had sticks all in her. I knelt down beside her, said a prayer for her spirit, and shot her. By the time I got back to my car I was crying my eyes out. But I knew I had done the right thing, despite not liking doing it.

10 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I grew up a hunter, and have hunted just about everything in Missouri. We used to have what we called a "wildlife dinner" every year. What I've hunted are quail, pheasant, raccoon, possum, whitetail deer, turkey, squirrel, badger, skunk, black bear, rabbit, and copperheads.

I haven't intentionally killed an animal of any kind in more than 10 years except a deer. That one was a skunk, and I only shot it because it was eating our dog food and scaring the hell out of our dogs. If you don't count the skunk, I haven't killed anything intentionally in more than 20 years. And I have no intentions of killing anything unless it's suffering.

The deer was a mercy killing. I was out for a drive one day when a couple does ran across the road in front of me. I stopped and watched them. They ran up a hill on the other side of a creek that ran by the road. The first one made it up the hill just fine, despite slipping a couple times. The other one didn't she got about halfway up and then slipped or tripped on something and fell all the way down the hill into the creek. I went to check on her and she was all broken up. She had a compound fracture in a leg. The bone was completely exposed. By the way she was breathing I could tell she had a punctured lung, and she had sticks all in her. I knelt down beside her, said a prayer for her spirit, and shot her. By the time I got back to my car I was crying my eyes out. But I knew I had done the right thing, despite not liking doing it.

My dad used to follow my grandad and go hunting when he was a kid but he just never liked it. He stopped going hunting with him at like 12 because my dad just couldn't bear it anymore. That's one of the few things he passed onto me