Register Now
killamch89

NVME 2.0 Is Here And It Comes With Some Very Substantial Upgrades

Here's a rough summary of some of the upgrades that NVME 2.0 is going to bring which is covered by Riley from Linus' Techquickie channel:

Although I don't quite understand a few of these terms but it does sound like it'll make it easier for manufacturers to make quicker, larger and more stable SSD drives. What do you think about this news?

I kind of feel like manufacturers should experiment with zoned namespaces to see if they're able to get that at least onto some of their current SSDs via a firmware update. Not sure if it'll work or if it's even an option. But regardless, NVMe 2.0 sounds like an absolute dream. Also cost double then before 😞

On 7/24/2021 at 5:27 AM, Empire said:

I kind of feel like manufacturers should experiment with zoned namespaces to see if they're able to get that at least onto some of their current SSDs via a firmware update. Not sure if it'll work or if it's even an option. But regardless, NVMe 2.0 sounds like an absolute dream. Also cost double then before 😞

Because of how it's currently designed, it wouldn't work at all. The software and hardware nodes required aren't there and of course new tech initially starts out more expensive but the price normally falls drops with a year or two.

18 hours ago, skyfire said:

I'd say this has more consumer exposure post 2022 or 2023. I may be wrong but I can't imagine expensive hardware going down this year.

We'll probably see it starting late next year but I'd say around 2024 before it starts to really catch on and more motherboard manufacturers start implementing it.