Register Now
StaceyPowers

Are sequels inherently less memorable?

Even really solid sequels often get short shrift, and sometimes I wonder if it is because sequels, however good they are, tend to simply be less memorable than originals. Our first experience of something is novel and fresh, so it sticks in our minds longer. What do you think?

Sequels fail at being memorable by failing to push the story forward. That’s definitely not the case with TLOU2 where part two is the true sense of a sequel. I think most games in a series, they tend to make them stand alones with maybe a small part that continues from a previous game. The reason might be to increase sells when the game comes out so people won’t assume they have to start at an earlier game on an older console which takes away spending money on a new game. I can’t think of many true sequels. 

Most of them sequels that I have played seems not to be that great with the way they are made not to offer more on the real story which begs the question for me why they make it when it's not going to push the main story forward?