Register Now
Arcane

Modern Epidemic

Unless somebody has something important to add please by all means feel free to do so, otherwise don't waste any more time and energy on this clusterfuck of a thread and let it fall down where it belongs,  because it's still to me unclear what this thread is about and i'm probably not the only one.

Clearly the orginal poster just came here to start annoying people to the border line where they are trolling the forum. Despite our best efforts to engage in a meaningfull discussion all they did was ignoring that and just continued their posting rampage.

Edited by Yaramaki

This is all opinion based obviously comparing modern games to retro. But why 1999? What was so special about that year? What about the 80's classics? The modern epidemic I can agree on is how games are released unfinished. And that is all part of the epidemic of internet dependence. Back then you couldn't update games so it had to be finished. As far as creativity, a lot of focus is definitely on realism and maybe the time consumed for that and memory space takes away from the story and cut scenes. But not always. And it's not like every older game had such magnificent storylines. The strength of the old days was easy access user friendly gameplay. The strengths of today are portraying fantasy environments in a realistic visually appealing way, with much more freedom to explore. My preference actually is a graphical detailed presentation. Maybe the Covid era created a feeling of stagnation in gamers. But if the whole modern era of gaming is stagnant then I take that as a creativity problem. Maybe people don't play the right games because my mind is blown away in the work put into the games I play. 

Our world is growing, the gaming industry is growing, technology is growing, internet speeds are getting faster. The modern epidemic could be online multiplayer games and transactions. It could be the virtual reality where people get groped and verbally attacked virtually of course. I see VR about to take a blunt hit in just how toxic online activity can be when you have more and more interaction with others on a level far more personal than console and computer games. 

But is gaming the epidemic? Or is it a societal media epidemic where gaming is caught in the crosshairs of all the hostile people out there who promote and indulge in hate? I don't really game online so I don't interact in that environment. By fawning, does that mean spawning? Like mass producing just to sell something for the year? I agree that could lose quality. What exactly is considered creativity though? Something new and captivating? What would break the stagnation? We are currently in a paradigm shift where realism is the ultimate inevitability, replacing the standard creative elements. Sometimes even I think well, they could have left off some of the realism stuff so I can have more user friendly gameplay with a bit of ease. But it's inevitable because as technology increases, so does the realism. The faster speeds, memory, developers will no doubt keep taking advantage and keep pushing us further and further into realism. 

Art history has shown that events in the world usually affects creativity/art. And you never know, in this paradigm shift towards reality could easily be affected by chip shortages and other events that diminish resources. And that could lead to a movement towards retro gaming once again as developers try to utilize less technology and less memory space and slower speeds, and to supplement less graphical quality why not design new modern retro games of different render modes to play in.