Register Now
NightmareFarm

What would you say are the most changeful individual years since 1990?

The ones that stand out for me are 1998, 2001, 2008, 2016 and arguably 2020. Arguably because COVID isn't really relevant nowadays but it brought about Biden as the new US president, things got more politically divisive(although I would say the major political divisions started in 2016) and as we all know the 9th gen consoles came out. 

Edited by NightmareFarm

Things definitely became a lot more political beginning from the late 2010s. I still remember enjoying a movie without getting into some political debate about race or gender. Good times.

I also remember not loving a film enough to have it end up on my favorites list after 2015. There just weren't a lot of films memorable enough for me that they stood out. A few films slipped through the cracks like Hereditary, sure, but even then, when I look at my top 50 favorite movie list, only one of them was released post-2015: Zootopia (and Ex-Machina if you want to count that, released on 2015).

The Internet also changed a lot beginning from 2016, but more specifically YouTube. YouTube has been around for quite a while, and it's no longer the fresh platform where individuals could have the freedom to express themselves like it's the American Dream all over again. Nope, instead you get toxic YouTube drama with people like Keemstar and Logan Paul making headlines as "celebrities" even though I could barely give a crap about them.

2001 though pretty much changed not just America, but the entire world, because it's the day when the most powerful nation in the world was reminded of how powerless it is with the terrorist attack. All movies were impacted in how we address terrorism and villainous figures, all the ways we react towards foreigners in society, all the security in airports and even the mentioning of the word "bomb," all the ways the news outlets like CNN and Fox News were altered with yellow fear-mongering journalism. It literally scarred the nations forever. Without 9/11, people like Trump wouldn't have been elected. It's a f-ing butterfly effect that sent one of the biggest hurricanes in history hurling towards us, and we're still paying for it. I don't even live in America, and I still feel like I could say I'm part of the 9/11 generation feeling the effects of the fear and the cynicism. We've become more jaded as a people, and that's not the best way for a teenager like me to grow up in the 2000s.