Register Now
The Blackangel

The evil of the animal kingdom….

We got this little (big) shit home last night. We drove to Chicago and back in 2 days. It’s about an 8 hour trip one way. We were barely able to make it into the house, we were so tired. I was asleep before my head hit the damn pillow. His name is Odie. We would have named him something else, but oh well. He’s 4 years old, so it’s too late to try to rename him. We were going to name him Loki, but us choosing a name is something we missed out on. No matter how similar it is. But oh well.

E0376CE4-7D21-4CB1-922E-E5B138A4620A.jpeg

758797F2-4A4B-4885-9923-E62599A38E18.jpeg

D9ADC0C7-9A02-4228-9E6A-E5ECF679E8CA.jpeg

63399B76-779E-411E-803D-22B21FA8583B.jpeg

8C8E733B-5413-4864-93D4-657A7ED850D1.jpeg

5D9CCF33-8D2E-4552-9244-D5AD50DCB742.jpeg

B0A78C1D-323F-4FD2-B973-12CA9627BA67.jpeg

1E48BA17-C738-46B4-A284-AFF0862D6A3F.jpeg

Well the last one we had was truly the spawn of Satan. This one that we have now has turned my hand into swiss cheese, and damn near broken my finger. I offer him a walnut or some dried fruit, and he ignores it and goes for my hand and fingers instead. The place we got him from lied to us when they said he was tame. He’s mean as hell.

On 11/28/2022 at 7:23 PM, The Blackangel said:

Well the last one we had was truly the spawn of Satan. This one that we have now has turned my hand into swiss cheese, and damn near broken my finger. I offer him a walnut or some dried fruit, and he ignores it and goes for my hand and fingers instead. The place we got him from lied to us when they said he was tame. He’s mean as hell.

This is a tricky situation - it sounds like you've grown attached to him and don't want to return him but he's constantly injuring you... Do they have obedience training for parrots? I know about cats and dogs but I've never hear of one for birds.

22 hours ago, killamch89 said:

This is a tricky situation - it sounds like you've grown attached to him and don't want to return him but he's constantly injuring you... Do they have obedience training for parrots? I know about cats and dogs but I've never hear of one for birds.

I don't think there's any kind of obedience training for birds. It's a moot point now concerning him. We rehomed him. We didn't have a whole lot of time with him, so we weren't all that attached yet. I still have wounds that are trying to heal. And this was a month ago.

On 12/17/2022 at 7:17 PM, The Blackangel said:

I don't think there's any kind of obedience training for birds. It's a moot point now concerning him. We rehomed him. We didn't have a whole lot of time with him, so we weren't all that attached yet. I still have wounds that are trying to heal. And this was a month ago.

Ah - I'm not very versed in how to win over a parrot. Maybe try to find some expert help.

17 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Ah - I'm not very versed in how to win over a parrot. Maybe try to find some expert help.

We're going to be getting a couple babies next year. That way we can train them easier to be friendly. There's a bird store outside St Louis that we get most of our supplies from. They always have large birds out playing around in a specific room. I always have to go in there and play with them. They're so sweet, and often just want to cuddle with you like a dog. I always want to bring them home, but just don't have that option as they're always already sold.😢

7 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

We're going to be getting a couple babies next year. That way we can train them easier to be friendly. There's a bird store outside St Louis that we get most of our supplies from. They always have large birds out playing around in a specific room. I always have to go in there and play with them. They're so sweet, and often just want to cuddle with you like a dog. I always want to bring them home, but just don't have that option as they're always already sold.😢

Large birds like Cockatoos? I remember going to a pet store in Florida as a teen and seeing a Peacock in a cage - It was terrible because you could see that the bird could barely move around in the cage.

Occasionally they have cockatoos. But what they always have are macaws of different breeds. A couple blue & gold, and a few ruby's.  They've had hyacinth macaws and eclectus macaws. They've had African Grays also. Then they have a lot of smaller birds. Birds the size of finches up to the size of quakers.

On 12/21/2022 at 4:48 PM, The Blackangel said:

Occasionally they have cockatoos. But what they always have are macaws of different breeds. A couple blue & gold, and a few ruby's.  They've had hyacinth macaws and eclectus macaws. They've had African Grays also. Then they have a lot of smaller birds. Birds the size of finches up to the size of quakers.

Macaws are a handful to take care of - I have a friend from Portugal who has one and she says they're pretty destructive because they go around just pecking everything and end up breaking a lot of things not to mention injuring her hand. I always wanted another parrot but the thing is travelling around with them is a lot of work and some don't take so well to moving around constantly.

Macaws aren't built to ride around in cars. They need space to be free in. As for being a handful, they're on the same level of a 3 year old child. They typically only get destructive if they're not getting enough stimulation. They need attention, and they need things to do. They also need to have toys to play with. You need to keep them on a schedule as to things like bedtime. When to get up, when to go to sleep. They have the same emotions as people. Happy, sad, afraid, angry, content, etc. So yes, they are definitely a handful. If you have a bird, they will eventually bite you from time to time. My conure bites everyone who isn't me. Yet she still bites me from time to time. With a macaw, they will bite from time to time, but sometimes it's a bit different for them. They're like a baby and experience the world through their mouths. Unless the bird is angry or scared (or just a mean bird), they usually don't bite hard enough to do real damage. But if they do bite with intent, they can remove body parts. Their bite is strong enough to pulverize bone, and their beaks are sharp enough to shred skin. So you could easily lose a finger under the circumstances at that moment.

I don't know if I have mentioned it (probably have) but we used to have a blue throat. He hated men but was ok with women. Except me. He loved @Rain Dew and was unwilling to give her a moments peace. Blue throats are an endangered species with an estimated 300-500 left. We loved him, but when Covid hit we couldn't afford him anymore. So we had to let him go. It broke both our hearts.

On 12/23/2022 at 9:48 AM, The Blackangel said:

Macaws aren't built to ride around in cars. They need space to be free in. As for being a handful, they're on the same level of a 3 year old child. They typically only get destructive if they're not getting enough stimulation. They need attention, and they need things to do. They also need to have toys to play with. You need to keep them on a schedule as to things like bedtime. When to get up, when to go to sleep. They have the same emotions as people. Happy, sad, afraid, angry, content, etc. So yes, they are definitely a handful. If you have a bird, they will eventually bite you from time to time. My conure bites everyone who isn't me. Yet she still bites me from time to time. With a macaw, they will bite from time to time, but sometimes it's a bit different for them. They're like a baby and experience the world through their mouths. Unless the bird is angry or scared (or just a mean bird), they usually don't bite hard enough to do real damage. But if they do bite with intent, they can remove body parts. Their bite is strong enough to pulverize bone, and their beaks are sharp enough to shred skin. So you could easily lose a finger under the circumstances at that moment.

I don't know if I have mentioned it (probably have) but we used to have a blue throat. He hated men but was ok with women. Except me. He loved @Rain Dew and was unwilling to give her a moments peace. Blue throats are an endangered species with an estimated 300-500 left. We loved him, but when Covid hit we couldn't afford him anymore. So we had to let him go. It broke both our hearts.

That's pretty sad - I heard that Macaws in general are tough to re-house as they get so attached to a particular person and won't accept anyone else.