Register Now
LeoGrun

Well, I guess I should introduce myself

Hello,

I'll be 32 this August, I've been playing games for a while now. I usually play on PC and switch but I fire up my Wii or N64 from time to time. (My Gamecube sadly died a while ago, but the Wii supports the games so I'm not terribly upset.) I own a WiiU, and I want to play it, I had a lot of fun when it was current but, well, you know. I still mod The Sims (1) and that's probably the single game/series I've played the longest. I also play board games, when I can get people together for it. Oh and I live on the East Coast of the U.S.

I'm looking for a place to talk about games to hopefully get myself excited about video games again. I've been in kind of a rut/funk for a while. 

Ave

I’m a classic gamer myself. Despite playing several PS4/PS5 games, I play from the N64 back. I love my Atari2600, and the NES is simply the greatest console ever made. SNES has a lot of great games, but the NES is still far superior.

Whatever game you fancy, there is someone else here who plays it.

Just familiarize yourself with the rules and you’ll be just fine.

Welcome to the forum.

Ave

For some reason NES and SNES games are usually really fun. Even with newer games, I think a simple concept that's fun on a basic level is a lot more fun than a tediously complicated game.

The rules seem pretty... chill. Hopefully my information wasn't too personal (it looks like other people have revealed similar stuff so I figured it was fine).

On 7/2/2023 at 11:55 AM, LeoGrun said:

Hopefully my information wasn't too personal (it looks like other people have revealed similar stuff so I figured it was fine).

Your introduction was fine. Nothing to worry about.🙂

On 7/2/2023 at 11:55 AM, LeoGrun said:

For some reason NES and SNES games are usually really fun. Even with newer games, I think a simple concept that's fun on a basic level is a lot more fun than a tediously complicated game.

Games were unique and original on those systems, whereas today games are all sequels and carbon copies of each other. There's no real originality. Game devs weren't afraid to take risks back then. Thanks to that, we got some really great, amazing gems. I remember when NES hit the market, everyone was blown away by how lifelike Mario was, and how complex the games were. Now looking back the games were beyond simple, and the graphics were blocky pixels. But that's part of what makes those games so great. It was a simpler time, with just better games if you ask me.

24 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Your introduction was fine. Nothing to worry about.🙂

Games were unique and original on those systems, whereas today games are all sequels and carbon copies of each other. There's no real originality. Game devs weren't afraid to take risks back then.

I think the issue is investors / venture capitalists don't want to take the risk, so they won't fund any kind of original game. Also, I think gaming has reached what I call the "songs about songs" point for bands*. So many people make gaming their hobby, then career then do it for years their experiences skew very heavily to a particular culture and industry and we don't have anyone breathing fresh ideas into things. I'd love to see even some east coast towns in games-- old factory towns. Some old mining towns-- which no, do not look like the old west. People who make games need to travel more and experience things that aren't to do with gaming.

* At some point, many bands who have been bands for a long time start to make songs that are about being in a band, playing in a band and the music industry. You can kind of tell they ran out of other experiences, but the record label won't let them be too candied about the reality of being a musician so you get these not-very-interesting songs not really about much of anything.

13 hours ago, Anders said:

Welcome to the forum! Happy to see a fellow Wii U apologist.

I'm not apologizing for the WiiU! Everyone else should apologize for the way they treated it! j/k

The truth is that the games it did have were a lot of fun-- I even liked Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, although on a base-level I already enjoy board games. It just never had enough games, never managed to court any particular audience or third party support. I do think the name was a mistake, as was the marketing. However, it also became the whipping boy for gaming media, with many speculating that Nintendo might "have to" become a third party only developer like SEGA after the "flop" that was the WiiU. As if (1) The DS and 3DS did not basically print money for them, (2) they were at all in a similar financial situation and (3) nobody was saying that when the PS Vita happened. Remember the PS Vita? Every surface a touchscreen-- that won't make your handheld difficult to handhold. a few of us went in buy one for a friend as a birthday present at launch, because they were so expensive. It now means to more to her as a present from her friends (an ex) than a gaming console.