Register Now
Kane99

Skyrim to get paid mods, fans of Starfield is worried about it

Bethesda I guess recently made it possible for mod makers to charge for their custom mods in Skyrim, and now fans of Starfield are worried it will result in mods in Starfield also being paid for. Some fans are split though as some are happy modders will now be able to make some money on their creations, but some fans worry that current free mods could be put behind a paywall going forward. Personally I am for this, if you make mods for a game, the modder should receive something at least. Well depending on how big and useful the mod is. Certain mods I can understand staying free, and I think that option is still available to modders if they want to give out mods for free. 

With this news, it's likely Starfield will add a similar mod system. What do you think? 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/other/starfield-fans-displeased-as-paid-mods-becomes-increasingly-likely/ar-AA1l7T8r

Paid mods didn't work before and they're not going to work now.

And I disagree with you @Kane99, it's not a good thing. Paying modders for thier content looks fine of paper, but dig a little deeper and it's mess. So many many mods use code that made for other mods are so often versions of each other that legal trouble when somebody starts to charge for it could cause all sorts of trouble. I remember fairly recently a modder charged a subscription, not even a one time payment, a subscription, for a DLSS mod for Starfield. He even implemented DRM. Suffice to say, it didn't go well:

This is the future if paid mods become a thing. This modder even threatened people who pirated the mod (His DRM was cracked in a day and the shared everywhare pretty much out of protest) and then threatened the people who downloaded a pirated version with sabotaging thier games (read about that from Kotaku) . He backtracked, but the point is this is what the modding community will be by default if paid mods become the norm. Modding as we know and love it would not exist anymore.

You want to support modders? Good for you, but do so through donations or by buying a premium account on mod platforms like Nexus, not through paid mods.

Honestly I'm not a fan of paid modders myself. As someone who hacks the 8-bit Sonic games and have done some work for people in the past, any time they offered to give me some money I would decline. I wouldn't want to make money off of someone else's work and I don't think its a good idea to charge people to get these mods. I agree with Shagger on this one, it's okay to support modders by donating money to their Patreon or other platforms.

1 hour ago, Ravenfreak said:

Honestly I'm not a fan of paid modders myself. As someone who hacks the 8-bit Sonic games and have done some work for people in the past, any time they offered to give me some money I would decline. I wouldn't want to make money off of someone else's work and I don't think its a good idea to charge people to get these mods. I agree with Shagger on this one, it's okay to support modders by donating money to their Patreon or other platforms.

That caught my eye because I always thought that Soinc the Hedgehog was a 16-bit game for the Megadrive/Genesis, but it turns out you were right, and I was wrong. An 8-Bit version was released on the Master System and the Game Gear. You learn something new every day.