Register Now
Kane99

E3 officially calls it an end after 28 years

E3 started back in 1995 and had a show almost every year up until 2019 during the covid pandemic. Ever since they have yet to air a new show and had already decided to cancel the 2023 showing. But now, they have instead decided to officially call it quits after 27-28 years of history. No matter how you put it, E3 was very important for the gaming industry the 25+ years it was active. But, with the way media is done these days, the show hasn't been as needed as it used to be. Now we have showcases by studios themselves, or special award shows like the Game Awards have been taking over the reveal process for upcoming games as well. There's just more coverage available than ever, and I think that's partly what killed E3. 

It's still weird we're not getting this show anymore, but I'm sure we'll be covered by other shows like comicon, CES, and of course awards shows. Are you saddened by the end of E3? I personally wanted to attend a show when I was growing up, but obviously that won't happen. Maybe down the road they'll bring E3 back, but I doubt that would happen anytime soon. 

More on this news below: 

https://www.pcmag.com/news/e3-is-officially-dead-video-game-trade-show-ends-its-iconic-run

No surprise, TBH: it's been declining for years, and when they cancelled the 2023 show (at a time when they really needed to regain their momentum after the COVID disruption), I thought that was the death knell.

Still, rather sad to see, given how influential it used to be. 

The last few years proved that the world just didn't need E3 anymore. Covid played a role in it, but it wasn't the direct cause of E3's downfall. Covid gave game publishers and console manufactures the opportunity to learn it was better to just do thier own announcements, and honestly I think that's better for us as well. Let these companies make announcements on thier own time and on thier own schedule rather than have those decisions dictated by external factors, that can help prevent games coming out before they're ready, something we've sadly got use to ion recent years.