Register Now
Smokey

Day one console purchase or wait for the 'rehash'?

When new consoles come out, do you tend to buy them when they first release or do you wait for the remodel or 'slim' model that comes out a year or so later?

For me, it depends if I can get my hands on the console or not. I'll probably buy the new xbox if I can get one when it launches and then see about the PS6.  I know the PS5 Pro is out later this year and i'm on the fence about upgrading to it since the PS5 isn't my main gaming console.

I never buy consoles day one, I usually wait a year or two for them to iron out the hardware/software bugs that inevitably occur with a new console launch. Also, neither of the last two console generations had any games at launch that I wanted to play, and there's no sense in buying a console if there's nothing worth playing on it.

That said, my new strategy is to skip a generation and wait for the next one. Game development cycles are getting so long that most of the big series are skipping a generation anyhow. I'm fairly certain that Fallout 5, Elder Scrolls 6, Final Fantasy VII Part 3, Red Dead Redemption 3, Elden Ring 2, Horizon 3, and other games of that caliber are going to be launch titles for the PS6 and Xbox Y. I might pick up a cheap used PS5 to play Dragon's Dogma 2, but that's a big maybe as there's only 3-4 games on the console that I want.

12 hours ago, HowHammerYou said:

I never buy consoles day one, I usually wait a year or two for them to iron out the hardware/software bugs that inevitably occur with a new console launch. Also, neither of the last two console generations had any games at launch that I wanted to play, and there's no sense in buying a console if there's nothing worth playing on it.

That said, my new strategy is to skip a generation and wait for the next one. Game development cycles are getting so long that most of the big series are skipping a generation anyhow. I'm fairly certain that Fallout 5, Elder Scrolls 6, Final Fantasy VII Part 3, Red Dead Redemption 3, Elden Ring 2, Horizon 3, and other games of that caliber are going to be launch titles for the PS6 and Xbox Y. I might pick up a cheap used PS5 to play Dragon's Dogma 2, but that's a big maybe as there's only 3-4 games on the console that I want.

Same - I usually wait a year or two before I buy a new console so that I can avoid any early adopter issues. I've gotten my hands on a PS5 in the past week and have been playing it but I don't know why it feels so underwhelming.