Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games With "Soap Opera" Quality Similar to DA?

I think I'm most of the way through Dragon Age: Origins now, and I’ve really fallen in love with the character interaction. I love how the party members banter with each other casually while walking (often about completely mundane stuff), and how aside from basic greetings when you open dialogue, conversation doesn’t repeat much. It feels very lifelike, and the approval/disapproval system is complex and had a lot of thought put into it. I enjoy the friendship/romance aspect.

I’ve never played another game like it before. I was wondering if anyone can suggest anything to me? What other games have you played that feature a similar level of depth in interaction and feature a similar system for evolving relationships?

Dragon Age Origins is brilliant and it's my favourite in that series, honestly. Games with good relationship systems/character interaction, huh? Umm, I guess the Mass Effect series is an obvious answer (another Bioware game, obviously). I think Heavy Rain and Detroit Become Human are great games that handle dialogue/character interaction well. Some of the game's branching paths are very impressive. TellTale games are effective at this, too. And finally, the Fallout series has relationship system/decent dialogue options. Hope that helps! 

I don't know that anyone really does it quite like Bioware, the Mass Effect games and DA games are really king at that.  But as Dylan mentions story based games like Telltale games, Detroit, or even Until Dawn build good stories but are also a very different type of game.  One game that I thought did well with relationship and character building was Kingdom Come: Deliverance.  It has some romance options as well that you have to take time to build, going on dates and such.