Register Now
Aimee Hart

Your most controversial gaming opinions

Now let's be clear: I want opinions yes, but let's be respectful of one another. This kind of topic can lead to hateful messages, but I believe the VGR community are better than that. 

So let's start, what is your most controversial gaming opinion? I think mine is that I don't really understand the hype for BOTW. I enjoyed it a lot (still am) but I expected so much more considering it became everyone's GOTY. 

I've probably said this a few times already, but I think one of my more controversial opinions is that I just couldn't get into one of the most highly rated games of 2017: Super Mario Odyssey. It just didn't click for me, and I feel that the nostalgia probably clouded many people's judgement for that game. That said, getting fun out of nostalgia is fine--there's nothing wrong with that. I will try and give it a second chance once I get my backlog in order!

1 hour ago, DylanC said:

I've probably said this a few times already, but I think one of my more controversial opinions is that I just couldn't get into one of the most highly rated games of 2017: Super Mario Odyssey. It just didn't click for me, and I feel that the nostalgia probably clouded many people's judgement for that game. That said, getting fun out of nostalgia is fine--there's nothing wrong with that. I will try and give it a second chance once I get my backlog in order!

I think nostalgia is a really blinding thing when it comes to video games. As you said, there's nothing wrong with that, but I'm also under the opinion that relying too much on nostalgia ultimately leads to a lack of variety.

2 hours ago, Aimee Hart said:

I think nostalgia is a really blinding thing when it comes to video games. As you said, there's nothing wrong with that, but I'm also under the opinion that relying too much on nostalgia ultimately leads to a lack of variety.

Yep, for sure. Nostalgia is not inherently a bad thing. But, yeah, leaning too far into nostalgia for nostalgia's sake can backfire. I think most Nintendo franchises are naturally nostalgic properties. Most people played Ninty's games growing up. I guess I just felt that Super Mario Odyssey felt a little too long in the tooth for me. It seemed to resonate well with most gamers, though. Plus, take what I say with a pinch of salt as I haven't beaten the whole game yet. I just wasn't feeling the first 5-6 hours. Need to give it another try...