Register Now
StaceyPowers

Radiant quests in Skyrim and other games

I’ve seen mixed opinions on the radiant quests in Skyrim, i.e. the Thieves’ guild jobs to rob a random target. Some people love them since there is always something to do, while others hate them because they leave them with a sense that something is permanently incomplete (plus, they are repetitious).

I don’t find them fascinating, but I do enjoy them. I also think in the future, quests which are procedurally generated like this could become more complex. What are your thoughts?

I don't mind radiant quests, they give people something to do way after everything else is done which I think is better than just running out of missions altogether.  I can see why it bothers completionists though, I also like to keep my mission list as thin as possible so sometimes that aspect is annoying, but it is a minor thing.  I remember the minutemen quests in Fallout 4 being one of the more annoying ones I have seen, but they easy enough to ignore.  If in the future they increase in variability then that would be even better, I have been playing AC Odyssey lately and it actually has some great radiant quests that vary a good bit, delivered both through message boards in towns and just random ppl that pop up on your map occasionally. Also, the Thieves Guild quests do actually have a purpose (somewhat) because if you do enough of them you can trigger an event. 

Edited by Joant73

It's one of the more interesting new features to the Elder Scrolls series. I liked them, and I agree, as the medium evolves, more complex procedurally generated quests will definitely be used in future RPG titles. I particularly like how they're borderline indistinguishable from other quests (except for looking closely in the menus). They feel organic and not forced which is a great achievement.