Register Now
Jerlene

The Shawshank Redemption

This is one of my favourite movies of all time. It's a really long movie and is really only for people who like a good story. There's no action in it or anything so it's just the story that holds you. Does anyone else love this movie? How do you interpret the last scene?

I absolutely love the movie. I have since it came out, and have watched it only about a billion times. It's one of the greatest works of cinema ever created. Stephen King is an astounding writer, with one of the most amazing creative minds of our generation. But I have to say that his dramas are leaps and bounds ahead of his horrors, and his horrors are the leaders of the pack. Granted there are a lot of good horrors out there, but none compare to the creativity of anything King has created.

have you also seen The Green Mile? I can't decide which is better between The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. But if I was forced to pick, it would probably be Shawshank.

My sentiments exactly! I love Stephen King. Of course I've seen Green Mile. I've also read the [really long!!!] book. I think I would choose Shawshank as well though. How do you interpret the last scene of the movie? Was it just Red dreaming? 

I adore The Shawshank Redemption -- what a film! It's definitely up there with my favourite movies of all time as well. Personally, I think it's leaps and bounds ahead of The Green Mile. I wasn't that enamoured with The Green Mile tbh. Another Stephen King drama adaptation that I love is Stand By Me. Wonderful piece of filmmaking!

9 hours ago, Jerlene said:

My sentiments exactly! I love Stephen King. Of course I've seen Green Mile. I've also read the [really long!!!] book. I think I would choose Shawshank as well though. How do you interpret the last scene of the movie? Was it just Red dreaming? 

I always thought Red actually did get paroled. But I always thought the old woman at the end of Titanic was asleep and dreaming at the end, whereas most people said she died and was in her own personal heaven.

1 hour ago, DylanC said:

I adore The Shawshank Redemption -- what a film! It's definitely up there with my favourite movies of all time as well. Personally, I think it's leaps and bounds ahead of The Green Mile. I wasn't that enamoured with The Green Mile tbh. Another Stephen King drama adaptation that I love is Stand By Me. Wonderful piece of filmmaking!

I can't believe I forgot Stand By Me. That one still takes my breath away to this day.

Edited by The Blackangel