Register Now
StaceyPowers

Beautiful lighting in video games

Sort of an oddly specific topic, lol, but what video games have you played that featured beautiful lighting?

I’ve really been impressed with the lighting in Bioshock Infinite. Everything in that game has a kind of “luminous” quality to it. It’s just beautiful to look at.

The Skyrim Remaster on PS4 was mighty impressive to look at lighting-wise. How the light sometimes cuts through the trees - even on the original versions - is incredible. Also, this year's God Of War and Call Of Cthulhu had some really cool lighting, too.

I thought games using the Doom 3 engine had amazing lighting. And FEAR 1 was amazing too.

Generally I feel the more photorealistic games have gotten, the less impressive lighting itself looks cause it's more about the overall package and lighting is now almost more restricted because it has to adhere to that photorealistic look.

Though I think the game that looked the most visually appealing to me with its use of lighting was the original Quake. Just such an amazing atmosphere altogether.

Edited by Alyxx