Register Now
kingpotato

Purchasing a new Console at launch

I usually have a "main" console and then I get other consoles for the games. 

The main console I usually purchase fairly early, but never immediately when it comes out. I'd say a few months after release. With the Xbox One, I waited until I could buy it without the kinect. 

The other consoles (such as the Wii U) I get at the very end of their life when everything I want is pretty much on sale. The only exception is for mainline Pokemon games. If a main Pokemon game comes out for the Switch, I'm gonna get one then lol. 

I purchased the PS Vita, PS4 and Nintendo Switch at launch. I also picked up the PS3 in its launch window (about a month after it released). I’m a sucker for jumping in early - but only when I have the cash to do so. When I was younger I couldn’t afford to buy my own consoles so I had to wait for birthdays and christmas etc. Now I’m an adult I quite enjoy buying some hardware at launch.

To be honest, I have never really purchased a console exactly at launch. I got my PS2 a couple weeks at launch but in general, I tend not to buy anything at launch because it may turn out to be a dud and you'll be stuck with it. Another instance was 3 years ago when the Samsung Galaxy s7 had launched for a few months and the Note 7 dropped around that time. I was contemplating whether to buy the Note or go with the S7 and I choose the S7 because it was the proven product and everybody saw how the Note 7 blew up - literally!