Register Now
skyfire

Selling old PC Games for Cash or Credits

22 hours ago, ARx182 said:

I'm surprised physical discs are still around, but I think they're coming to an end. Sony are charging $100 extra for the physical disc PS5 and one of the reasons they will die out is the extra cost - digital is cheaper.

This is the last year I am sure for the digital disc. Apart from sony, only the square enix prefers to make money off the digital discs more and there are few other game studios who like that. 

21 hours ago, skyfire said:

This is the last year I am sure for the digital disc. Apart from sony, only the square enix prefers to make money off the digital discs more and there are few other game studios who like that. 

You also have to remember that Sony owns Blu-ray format. The disc is their patented property. So they can continue to make money off those discs, by using them or leasing them to another developer. So I see no slowing down for them with disc systems. I'm sure the PS6 and PS7 will have the disc option as well. But that's 20 years from now, and in that much time, things can drastically change. Humans may not even be here at that point.

I don't plan. I improvise. There's no point in planning, because you don't know if you'll be here in 5 seconds.

On 10/8/2020 at 11:28 AM, The Blackangel said:

You also have to remember that Sony owns Blu-ray format. The disc is their patented property. So they can continue to make money off those discs, by using them or leasing them to another developer. So I see no slowing down for them with disc systems. I'm sure the PS6 and PS7 will have the disc option as well. But that's 20 years from now, and in that much time, things can drastically change. Humans may not even be here at that point.

I don't plan. I improvise. There's no point in planning, because you don't know if you'll be here in 5 seconds.

That's an excellent point to be fair but due to the pandemic, more companies will opt to go the digital route as it offers more cost savings to said companies. Discs will still be around but it'll gradually get phased out.