Register Now
StaceyPowers

Educational topics you'd like to see in video games

@skyfire made an interesting suggestions in another thread that he’d like to see Eastern religions featured in video games since a lot of people especially in the West may not be as familiar with them in a world dominated in large part by Christianity.

I was wondering if there are other real-world topics you all would like to learn more about by seeing them featured in popular video games?

I learned a lot about history, architecture and design while playing BioShock games, so those are areas where I’d love to continue to learn more while playing other games in the future.

I would love a game based around astronomy. I have loved astronomy since I was a child, and a game that is based around that that is not only fun, but educational would be an instant pre-order for me. There was a PC game I played when I was younger that was called Operation Weather Disaster. It was so fun to play, that I didn't even realize that I was learning. If someone could do the same thing with astronomy, they would then become my favorite game publisher.

On 12/15/2019 at 1:07 PM, The Blackangel said:

I would love a game based around astronomy. I have loved astronomy since I was a child, and a game that is based around that that is not only fun, but educational would be an instant pre-order for me. There was a PC game I played when I was younger that was called Operation Weather Disaster. It was so fun to play, that I didn't even realize that I was learning. If someone could do the same thing with astronomy, they would then become my favorite game publisher.

I totally agree! I miss when I temporarily had enough astronomy knowledge in college to look up at the sky and get what was going on, and I feel like a game could somehow make it easier to do that again, especially if it somehow incorporated real-time RL astronomy events.

With the exception of Uranus, I can tell you exactly where to look to see the planets with the naked eye at any time of the year. Neptune is too far to see, but all of the others are visible. Mainly due to their size with Saturn and Jupiter. But Mars and Venus are close enough to see clearly. Mercury can be tricky to find, but once you know where to look and when, it becomes second nature.