Register Now
StaceyPowers

What is your usual approach to getting started in an MMO?

While reading @killamch89 talking about an interesting role he played during combat in an MMO, I got to thinking about the roles I typically play in MMOs. It occurs to me that most gamers probably have a few key positions they like to end up in, whether they are in combat, politics, commerce, or so forth.

My question is, when you join an MMO, what is your usual “routine” for trying to position yourself where you want to end up?

I usually do best in a spy/rogue role, but not necessarily with that particular class. How to fall into it? Alas, the best method seems to be to join a faction that I know I dislike, and then look for an opportunity to sell their secrets or abuse access to their resources in some other fashion. I actually never have done this intentionally (join the wrong faction just to sell them out), but being as it went down that way twice, I’d say that it is a logical, if dubious, approach to getting power in a game starting with decisions one makes as a newbie.

What pathway do you usually follow in MMOs starting as a newbie and as you gain experience? What is your end goal?