Register Now
skyfire

MSI Laptops

I was checking out alternatives to the Alienware and the ASUS laptop for the gaming. And someone recommended the MSI laptops to me. I understand that there isn't much out there in terms of reviews online for some of their laptops. So I wonder if anyone has any experience with their products. 

Do you think MSI laptops are good for gaming? 

As good as anything else I suppose.  I haven't heard any consistant horror stories and they seem to be a bit cheaper than eqivilent models from ASUS ROG and WAY cheaper than Alienware (not that that is saying much, their almost as overpriced as Macbooks!).

There's this one for example, rocks a 6 core hyperthreaded I7 and a GTX 2060 for about $1100 on Amazon (US) which is pretty impressive.  The only real issue is that it only comes with 256GB of NVMe storage so you will probably need to expand that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_atf_aps_sr_pg1_1?ie=UTF8&adId=A01738099QJP62NBWXZY&url=%2FMSI-9SEXR-250-i7-9750H-RTX2060-Win10Home%2Fdp%2FB0843HCPJX%2Fref%3Dsr_1_2_sspa%3Fdchild%3D1%26keywords%3Dmsi%2Bgf65%2Brtx%2B2060%26qid%3D1595069164%26sr%3D8-2-spons%26psc%3D1&qualifier=1595069164&id=4309932562891530&widgetName=sp_atf

That looks like pretty god machine. Because I don't do much heavy on graphics but as long as the machine plays games like - league of legends, I am all set. Yeah noticed that 25GB so there is definitely needs one upgrade on the hard disk. 

How are their laptops in context of heating?

3 minutes ago, skyfire said:

That looks like pretty god machine. Because I don't do much heavy on graphics but as long as the machine plays games like - league of legends, I am all set. Yeah noticed that 25GB so there is definitely needs one upgrade on the hard disk. 

How are their laptops in context of heating?

Again, I've heard no horror stories and they seem to have fairly standard cooling setups similar to the likes of ASUS or dell.  I did see a video recently with JayzTwoCents and his daughters MSI laptop overheating so he took the cooling assembly out and re-applied the the thermal paste so it seems they are at least semi self-serviceable.

That laptop is very similar to mine;

FX505DV.thumb.PNG.4afbe690dbe5da791b643d2d33b585ed.PNG

A slightly more powerful CPU in the MSI I think, but the same GPU and my one also lacks a second drive. I installed a 2 TB SSD into mine after I bought it, and it was easy to do.  Having said that, the NVMe Drive in ASUS is double the size of the one in that MSI laptop. Still, given how similar they are, I don't think youn would go wrong with that. I've heard no horror stories about MSI's quality and their products offer good value. Between these two It's like picking between a cream tart and another cream tart. What you have to decide @skyfire is, do you want a cream tart?

I remember @shagger that you have asus FX505DD/DT if I am right. I am not much aware of the Ryzen series overheat and long term performance. That model looks pretty solid. I also checked out FX705DD/DT which is pretty good for 17 inch asus laptop. Now I have too many choices for under 1300$ price range. I am just kind of overwhelmed on what to go with along with researching on AMD Ryzen and heating issues if laptop faces. 

@crazycrab that jaytwocents video is kind of helpful understanding the heat problem... it looks pretty basic.