Register Now
killamch89

EA facing class-action lawsuit in Canada for their "surprise mechanics"

EA is facing a class-action lawsuit in Canada for their loot-box gambling mechanics in over 60 of their titles. I for one hope something does come out of this because they've gotten away with so many anti-consumer practices over the years. I'd like to know what you think of this news and what do you think will be the potential repercussions for other gaming companies if EA is found guilty?

EA knows exactly what they're doing when they throw these gambling mechanics in games. I don't understand how they can think they're free to do this. Lets face it, most people who play sports games, are young, so the change of them spending money on loot boxes is very real. As well, those loot boxes don't usually provide you with anything. It's gambling any way you put it. You can coat it with a bit of paint by calling it a "Surprise Mechanic", but it doesn't change the fact that it's promoting gambling and needs to be stopped. 

I honestly don't care if loot boxes exist, but only in the sense of the game world and where you can only use in game currency to get them. In game currency that is made in game by playing the game. Not from spending money. EA knows what they're doing is gambling, they just don't care because they think they can get away with it. Well, it's about time more countries jump on them like this.