Register Now
Knight Plug

My final thoughts on Resident Evil Village...

The game seems very creepy and challenging, and it's out in just over a week. 

I like that you cannot just shoot everything carelessly like you do in games such as RE4, etc. There's actually a smarter way of going about things. Like you can place a mine on the ground and hope that the werewolf looking things will go near it. Unfortunately, the gameplay seems like it's nothing new. I think it's mostly the same mechanics as the other RE Engine based games we have gotten from Capcom since 2017. Somebody starts following you around in certain areas, that you have to run away from. There's a car you have to hop inside. You find the same type of things again. 

However, the atmosphere seems too quiet. In games like Code: Veronica, we had eerie piano music being heard in the palace, as you were exploring the environment. In this game, you could let one rip and the whole world could hear you breaking wind on the air. LOL. Silence isn't always golden, you know. And is it just me, or does the colouring in the textures look a bit washed out?

The story on the other hand, hardly feels connected to the other games, apart from RE7, obviously. There is definitely a link there, since Ethan Winters and his wife Mia, come back. But having Chris returning and showing off the Umbrella logo on a little pillar maybe one time so that people get excited over nothing special, hardly qualifies as much of a connection with the prior titles, in my opinion. But Capcom likes to do that a lot. A tiny reference for the sake of rubbing salt in our wounds. 

I am glad that the Duke knows the merchant from RE4. Finally, Capcom. You acknowledged that he is a character we all miss dearly. Well, not so much myself. I didn't like him that much. LMAO. Maybe they are supposed to be cousins. 

"What are ya selling?" 

The last thing I want to point out, is that the multiplayer game that was intended to launch with it, has been delayed to June. But oh well. It didn't look all that impressive anyway. 

Including the Wii shooters, the Gun Survivor ones, Outbreaks 1 and 2, the Revelations games, animated movies and so much more, yeah, it's a mess...

Another problem is that one story seems to create more plot threads, that Capcom never seems to bother continuing. By the next game, they are doing something vastly different, that in turn seems to create a bigger mess. And it's just like, oh my God. And even if they involve characters like Chris Redfield, I think that's just something they like to do for fan service, really.

I won't ever stop being a fan to an extent, but the story matters to me so much, and even Capcom just doesn't know what the hell to do anymore. That's why I am now a low key fan. After April is over, I will be focusing on other facets of my life. Resident Evil will mostly be a good memory. 

Edited by Candy Stick

Yes, you're very correct about them drifting from one plot to another like it's kind of a different story but with similar things you get in other RE. Although, generally I did enjoyed playing Resident Evil Village to be very honest with you.