Register Now
Shagger

IGN Posts in support of Palestine and Humanitarian efforts in Jerusalem, Gaza and West Bank, posts removed 36 hours later.

IGN posts a now deleted article in the aim of promotion of charities hiding in humanitarian efforts in the regions affected buy the recent escalation in the conflict between Palestine and Israel. I'm sure many of you have heard about this on social media or news media, but I'll link a wiki page detailing some of the history here. Werther that was the intention or not, the article did come of pro-Palestine in it's wording, but most likely this is because far more Palestine civilians have been killed or made homeless by the recent violence, but this was probably a mistake and i'll get to that later.

After the article and tweet from IGN was posted and garnered a massive amount attention and support, IGN Israel made a statement condemning IGN for the action. The twitter post and article were both deleted about a day later. and IGN made another statement apologising for the article and making it clear that they were in support of humanitarian efforts and charities regardless of the politics of the given situation and would not "take a side" in such situations. IGN did also announce a $25,000 donation to Save the Children, so kudos at least for that.

The staff working on the floor of IGN, not the management, were appalled by this action and dozens of them singed an open letter to IGN's higher ups and parent companies to express their displeasure and demanded clarification as to why this happened. And no, despite how displeased IGN Israel were, they not responsible for the deletion, for reasons better explained in the video below. It seams that commercial and political pressure was more likely to have lead to the articles' removal.

Video games journalist, writer and former IGN employee Alanah Pearce weighs in on the situation with far more detail, context, understanding and clarity than I could in this video. I strongly advise you to watch this video before posting what you think.

Now, to get personal.

I hate Israel, and I don't think they are the force for good and peace that they think they are. They have treated Palestinians' like stepped on shit for decades and yet that the arrogance to be proud of themselves. I see through the façade they show to the rest of the world and that everyone else seems to buy, especially America. I will say that in Israel's defence their mistrust of their enamouring nations has been justified by the violence brought to them by those nations, especially since the end of WW2, but the segregation and treatment of Palestinians has never felt right with me. Israel need to just let Palestinians govern themselves and fuck off.

I was actually glad to see the people, at least on the ground floor, of IGN sending support where it belonged. It still probably wasn't the smartest thing to do to have the article appear to take one side the way it did, but at least it was the right side imo.

What you you think about this? Again, I feel it is important to watch the video first.

I believe that Palenstine should be it’s own country. I read up on a little of the history of the bad blood between the two, and each side has their own right to hate the other. But because Israel has its own country and standing military, and has inflicted the most civilian casualties against the Palestinians over the years, then that makes Israel the aggressor.

That is America’s greatest ally in the Middle East, and it is part of our democratic responsibility to try and make agreements between Israel and Palestine. We can’t cower and fear political fallout for calling out the humanitarian crisis. From what I have seen over the years as an American ally, Israel is taking advantage of our politics to embolden their cause. They are swinging their little dicks because they know we will back them. But I as an American don’t back what they are doing to Palestine and stirring Iran’s hornets nest. As the stronger, it is our responsibility to put them in check. If Israel wants to go against their strongest ally and turn rogue then that is on them. Let the political plate tectonics shift around the world. Let us allies form strong bonds and uphold democratic ideologies. Let the rogue drift together and form the axis. Then we fight the inevitable ww3. 

As far as IGN, I don’t know how much they are worth, but being afraid of boycotts or something by deleting their post on helping Palestinian civilians doesn’t seem justifiable. So that means that someone higher up the chain probably supports Israeli behavior at IGN. I am a little divided there though, because although IGN took a direct stance at first to help Palestinian civilians and later changed to include both Palestinian and Israeli civilians, I think they should have taken an equal stance in the first place. BUT… I’m divided on that because the bigger issue should be focused on the Palestinians since they are the ones in need of the most aid. And I should say congrats for IGN getting involved to help. But how are they going to help both sides now? Are they gonna have separate funds for each side? Is it gonna be a competition now to see which side Americans care more about by how much donations each side gets? This is fucked up. Israel is a whiny little bitch that likes to start fights knowing their boyfriend will kick ass.  

This war has been raging for decades between Israel and Palestine. Ever since I was a child. It shows no signs of slowing down or stopping from what I have seen. Personally, I think we should quit playing politics in the middle east and worry about our own lands. If one of them comes to us in true need of our help, then we can consider getting involved. Other than that, let the rest of the nations of the world govern their own damn selves. We have our own problems to worry about without having to fix everyone else's god damn issues. Give help when justifiably requested, otherwise, mind your own god damn business and worry about what you need to fix about yourself.