Register Now
killamch89

Would you rather lose the ability to read or lose the ability to speak?

I'd rather lose the ability to speak in this scenario simply because you communicate using a lot of other means which includes technology. On the other hand, not being able to read will ensure that you meet a quick demise simply because not being able to read warning signs and other essential things will cause you to put yourself in dangerous situations. In addition to that, reading is the primary way we gain knowledge and knowledge is power. Which one would you rather?

I would choose to loose the ability to speak. I could learn ASL or write things out. I am also an introvert and I often dislike talking to people, so loosing the ability to speak just gives me an excuse to not engage with people I do not want to talk to.

The unspoken word is always louder than the spoken one. Body language will tell people more than your voice, and your eyes say even more than that. So I would much rather lose the ability to speak. I don't say a lot anyway, as I don't have anyone to really talk to. As for the phone, there is this neat new thing called texting. Drive throughs like at McDonalds would be useless, but that's a small price to pay. I like Subway better anyway.

13 hours ago, Empire said:

I would choose to loose the ability to speak. I could learn ASL or write things out. I am also an introvert and I often dislike talking to people, so loosing the ability to speak just gives me an excuse to not engage with people I do not want to talk to.

Totally understandable - I also have some introverted tendencies where I just don't feel like socializing.

4 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

The unspoken word is always louder than the spoken one. Body language will tell people more than your voice, and your eyes say even more than that. So I would much rather lose the ability to speak. I don't say a lot anyway, as I don't have anyone to really talk to. As for the phone, there is this neat new thing called texting. Drive throughs like at McDonalds would be useless, but that's a small price to pay. I like Subway better anyway.

I hardly even use the drive-thru unless I'm extremely hungry and I don't want to sit and eat my food. I agree about texting and that was what I was referring to when I said technology.