Register Now
killamch89

Would you rather spend the rest of your life with a sailboat as your home or an RV as your home?

To be honest, this is a tough one because both sound pretty appealing and I wouldn't complain in either situation. However, my choice would be the RV simply because you can go more places with the RV. In addition to that, in the event of a storm you can store your RV somewhere whereas the sailboat for the most part, is at the mercy of the ocean. Which would you rather?

If someone else is paying, definitely the sailboat. Sailboats can be a lot larger than an RV. Big enough for a house-sized master bedroom, washer and dryer, full-sized stove etc. You can eat, sleep etc. while under way, you don’t have to strap in like an RV. Some are big enough to carry a car. Certainly there’s no problem taking bicycles, I take a motorcycle on my 32-footer.

I'm going to throw my fear of the water aside for this one.

I agree this would be tough. Sailing would be great because you could go anywhere in the world as long as you have your passport ready. If you're not allergic to seafood, you would have an endless supply of food. If you know how to purify your own water, you could have an endless supply there. So that's a plus.

But an RV would be great because you could see so many things that are land locked and you don't have to worry about a hotel.

So if I was forced to choose I would have to go with the RV. If I remember right, there was someone here who actually does live in an RV, but off the top of my head, I don't remember who it was. So if they reply, that could give everyone a much better insight to a decision.

13 hours ago, Empire said:

If someone else is paying, definitely the sailboat. Sailboats can be a lot larger than an RV. Big enough for a house-sized master bedroom, washer and dryer, full-sized stove etc. You can eat, sleep etc. while under way, you don’t have to strap in like an RV. Some are big enough to carry a car. Certainly there’s no problem taking bicycles, I take a motorcycle on my 32-footer.

Excellent points made about the sailboat.

4 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I'm going to throw my fear of the water aside for this one.

I agree this would be tough. Sailing would be great because you could go anywhere in the world as long as you have your passport ready. If you're not allergic to seafood, you would have an endless supply of food. If you know how to purify your own water, you could have an endless supply there. So that's a plus.

But an RV would be great because you could see so many things that are land locked and you don't have to worry about a hotel.

So if I was forced to choose I would have to go with the RV. If I remember right, there was someone here who actually does live in an RV, but off the top of my head, I don't remember who it was. So if they reply, that could give everyone a much better insight to a decision.

I know quite a few people in other countries who live in RVs so it's fairly common. They usually buy the luxurious ones though with a whole shower and flushable toilets. I wouldn't mind the RV at all. It's not really a fear of the sea so much as the unpredictability of it - One minute it will be all sunny and everything's great and then suddenly a huge storm appears throwing your boat all over the place and if you aren't experienced enough to handle such a situation, it's game over.