Register Now
The Blackangel

Mum vs Mom

This is something that has been bugging me for a long time. We all know that the reason Americans speak English is because the country was primarily settled by the British. Hence, the English language. I understand that over the last 245 years, the language was predisposed to some changes. But how did we go from saying "Mum" to "Mom"? Or was it the British who changed their speaking of the word? I know it's a very minor difference, and of no real concern to anyone, but it's one of those small things that just bugs you. Kinda like wondering who invented bread. Because bread sure as hell doesn't grow on any plants I'm aware of.

Believe it or not, "American English" is something of a trigger for me. I exercise a great deal of patience when it comes to this, but every time I see a King or a Queen addressed as "your highness" in a movie or TV show, I do want to strangle said individual with their own windpipe. And I get that feeling a lot.

It's not just that either. Football is the sport where you actually use your feet, not some pussy version of Rugby. It's spelled "Carib-bean" because that's the way it's spelled, not "Crribien" and, most importantly, you don't have to say, "Ya want cheese wit' that? every time somebody askes for something to eat. 

I know a lot of people in the UK hate hearing us speak. Our version of the language is so different, that a lot of the British/Scottish/Welsh feel insulted hearing us say that we "speak English." We speak American. It has its roots in English, but by this day, is no longer English.

With the "your highness" part, since we aren't under a monarchy, the majority of people in this country don't know the proper way to address someone of royal blood. We're not going to walk up to Queen Elizabeth and holler out "What's up Liz?" All we really have to go by is Hollywood.

I have asked since I was a child why soccer wasn't called football since it's the game you use your feet on. It has never made sense to me.

With the Caribbean, you'll hear it two ways here. Care-ib-be-ann and Cah-rib-E-ann.

Cheese is an obsession here. If they don't mask if you want cheese with it, they're busy asking if you want fries with it. Or chips in the UK.