Register Now
killamch89

Creating Your Own Cloud

It is possible. With something like Next cloud. But it is limited in tools. The biggest problems there is no one suite for all in open source or free.

For example paid sites and suites like Google, Zoho are kind of one suite for all. Nextcloud being the free solution has some of those features and tools but not all. 

Most paid ones are easy to get into the opensource are pain because we have to manage everything. 

18 hours ago, skyfire said:

It is possible. With something like Next cloud. But it is limited in tools. The biggest problems there is no one suite for all in open source or free.

For example paid sites and suites like Google, Zoho are kind of one suite for all. Nextcloud being the free solution has some of those features and tools but not all. 

Most paid ones are easy to get into the opensource are pain because we have to manage everything. 

I'm planning to build my own personal cloud but I was looking at using Syncthing instead. I've heard people mention a Synthing + Nextcloud combo but I heard it's a pain to get setup and is extremely complicated to run.

On 8/5/2021 at 1:46 AM, skyfire said:

Nextcloud is easy to setup. Just takes some time to configure and not sure about mixing it with syncthing. I suppose it would work but yeah combo setup is painful often if it requires triggers. 

The way I heard it from a reliable source, Syncthing is good for a local Network and when you need share files with people outside that, you can Syncthing upload the file to Nextcloud. However, there's Onionshare which allows you to send any size file to anyone so I'd much rather go with that.

Well, need to define what you want to be able to do with your own cloud and for me, it's back up and why to make your own if there are options out there already 😛 Google drive and whatnot has a free storage option to begin with then they offer more storage.

14 hours ago, Empire said:

Well, need to define what you want to be able to do with your own cloud and for me, it's back up and why to make your own if there are options out there already 😛 Google drive and whatnot has a free storage option to begin with then they offer more storage.

It's because I want mine to be secure so I'll encrypt it as well. Google's own isn't encrypted and can easily be hacked and this is a a personal cloud for my network so Google Drive is nowhere near the standard for that.

6 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Google's own isn't encrypted and can easily be hacked and this is a a personal cloud for my network so Google Drive is nowhere near the standard for that.

Another big issue is that if you use google cloud they if you set them on the timed backups would create multiple copies like git and may end up increasing the storage. 

18 hours ago, skyfire said:

Another big issue is that if you use google cloud they if you set them on the timed backups would create multiple copies like git and may end up increasing the storage. 

That's a pretty valid point as well and what happens if they decide to lock down my account?

14 hours ago, skyfire said:

Lock of account usually does not happen. But they stop storage and all fetching specific features and you are forced to remove those multiple backups. 

Exactly and that's why I'm going to build my personal cloud server instead of a 3rd party one and put Bitwarden there so that I have complete control over my passwords.