Register Now
The Blackangel

Do you believe in any superstitions or urban legends?

Every culture has their own, and I'm not specifically asking about anything cultural, but I would enjoy hearing about those also. But is anyone superstitious? Do you believe any urban legends? Do you think any cryptids are real?

For superstitions, I don't think I am. It doesn't bother me to pass under a ladder, black cats crossing my path mean nothing, and toads won't give you warts. For urban legends and cryptids, I'm not sure. It all depends on the legend and creature itself. I can't say I disbelieve any. I do believe there are creatures and forces out there that we don't possess the ability to understand. And many of which we don't know of. I'm not specifically referring to Nessie and Bigfoot. Others as well.

For example two stories that have fascinated me for years are the stories of La Llorona and The Big Grey Man. I'm pretty sure everyone is somewhat familiar with La Llorona, but also sure that next to no one (except @Shagger and @Crazycrab) are familiar with The Big Grey Man. They would know more about the story than I do since it's a Scottish legend. But what I know, in a nutshell, is that there's a mount in Scotland (Cairngorns?) that is called Ben MacDhui. Climbers who have attempted and failed, and those who have successfully summited it have all reported a sudden sense of dread and absolute terror while on the mountain. Many report being followed by something they couldn't see, and others reported some form of grey humanoid creature chasing them down the mountain. No one knows what or why is there, but from my understanding, those that have been up there have refused to go near the mountain again.

La Llorona is more famous, especially since the movie came out. My understanding of the legend is that she was an Aztec widow with 3 small children. She met a wealthy man and fell in love with him and placed all her hopes of a better life for her and her children with him. He didn't want to be tied down with a widow and another mans kids. So he left her. She lost it and drowned her kids in the river. Rio Bravo to Mexico, Rio Grande to USA. Upon realizing what she had done she went insane and ran up and down the river searching for her kids. What happened next is lost in variations of the story, but either she committed suicide or when the villagers found out what she had done they threw her into the river. Either way, she suffered the same fate as her children. Now her wraith is seen gliding along waterways at night, and her scream is one of the most terrifying anyone can hear. My sister's father (not sister by blood) heard and saw her one night. He was never the same man after that. Apart of him was broken while another was lost. She tries to drag children into the water and drown them, or anyone unlucky enough to encounter her. She has gone from a mad woman, to ghost, to pure evil daemon. Parents use the story to this day in Mexico and the southern US to try tokeep their children away from being stupid or playing in places like rivers where they could get swept away. While she may be a deterrent, she's also deadly in more ways than one.

Not one bit - I've yet to see an actual superstition come through. It's just unnecessary fear as I'm concerned - well most of them. One exception is the Rosehall Great House, it's haunted. Every time I've been to that place my spiritual senses go haywire and all kinds of bizarre stuff happens especially at night.

Annie Palmer was one psycho bitch. Boiling oil in one husbands ears, and dust from the bones of dead babies.

"If I survive I'll marry five."

I would love to know what powers were actually summoned the night she died against the slave that also knew Voodoo. In the end, he saved his daughter and her fiancee, but it cost him his life.

People have shown pictures of her "grave" but she was reportedly buried in an unmarked grave somewhere on the plantation. Crosses on 3 sides to contain her powers and the 4th left open so her spirit could wander never finding rest.

She's one of the more feared and dangerous duppies on the island.

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Annie Palmer was one psycho bitch. Boiling oil in one husbands ears, and dust from the bones of dead babies.

"If I survive I'll marry five."

I would love to know what powers were actually summoned the night she died against the slave that also knew Voodoo. In the end, he saved his daughter and her fiancee, but it cost him his life.

People have shown pictures of her "grave" but she was reportedly buried in an unmarked grave somewhere on the plantation. Crosses on 3 sides to contain her powers and the 4th left open so her spirit could wander never finding rest.

She's one of the more feared and dangerous duppies on the island.

Yeah - I wondered who'd even be so stupid as to get married to someone like this...

8 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

From what I've read, she was extremely beautiful, so men were more than willing to marry her.

My instincts would've definitely picked up that something was off about her but not everyone's senses are as sharpened as mine.