Register Now
killamch89

If you were to donate to a charity, which one would you choose and why?

donate to local charities where I'm from. I generally avoid Red Cross after seeing that over 55% of the donations went to "administration" fees after a massive event that happened in my area. So many donations didn't make it to people in need and so many got screwed out of much needed supplies. So I started focusing on other charities instead.

I do a different kind of charity, one that I've taken upon myself.

I buy packs of water a lot. The kind that are like 40 bottles for $3. Then I go around and give them out to the homeless and people working outdoors during the summer. The days get extremely hot and humid here, and the water is a requirement. This way I know for a fact that it's going to those that need it. I'm wary of donating money to any charity, because (as already stated) all too often it goes into the pocket of the administration, instead of to the charity itself. They cook the books to try to hide it, but it doesn't always work.

15 hours ago, Empire said:

donate to local charities where I'm from. I generally avoid Red Cross after seeing that over 55% of the donations went to "administration" fees after a massive event that happened in my area. So many donations didn't make it to people in need and so many got screwed out of much needed supplies. So I started focusing on other charities instead.

Totally agree about local charities - I have never and will never donate to those "charities" such as the Red Cross because as you mentioned they take most of the donations for themselves.

10 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I do a different kind of charity, one that I've taken upon myself.

I buy packs of water a lot. The kind that are like 40 bottles for $3. Then I go around and give them out to the homeless and people working outdoors during the summer. The days get extremely hot and humid here, and the water is a requirement. This way I know for a fact that it's going to those that need it. I'm wary of donating money to any charity, because (as already stated) all too often it goes into the pocket of the administration, instead of to the charity itself. They cook the books to try to hide it, but it doesn't always work.

I've gone around and given food to homeless people on Christmas Eve before but Covid has made it hard to do anything like that anymore.

8 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Totally agree about local charities - I have never and will never donate to those "charities" such as the Red Cross because as you mentioned they take most of the donations for themselves.

Just think how many stores that they ahve to pay rent and power to keep those stores running. 

1 hour ago, Empire said:

Just think how many stores that they have to pay rent and power to keep those stores running. 

Sometimes (depending on circumstance) they're exempt from rent. If it's a government run charity, the power is usually in the government budget. Or they're completely exempt from paying that as well simply because they're a charity. Also, the government tends to almost always own the building the charity in question is located in when it's a federally operated charity.

13 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Sometimes (depending on circumstance) they're exempt from rent. If it's a government run charity, the power is usually in the government budget. Or they're completely exempt from paying that as well simply because they're a charity. Also, the government tends to almost always own the building the charity in question is located in when it's a federally operated charity.

In our country, Red Cross doesn't pay for the building or the utilities to maintain said building so all they really have to concern themselves with is admin cost.

16 hours ago, killamch89 said:

In our country, Red Cross doesn't pay for the building or the utilities to maintain said building so all they really have to concern themselves with is admin cost.

The Red Cross doesn't pay for shit anyway. The money they receive only goes into pockets, not into helping anyone. They're one of the most notoriously corrupt charities known to man. Fuck them.

On 8/28/2021 at 1:23 PM, The Blackangel said:

The Red Cross doesn't pay for shit anyway. The money they receive only goes into pockets, not into helping anyone. They're one of the most notoriously corrupt charities known to man. Fuck them.

I wholeheartedly agree and the worst part is seeing them on the street all the time begging pre-Covid. They made sure to position themselves outside banks as well to harass you when you come out of the bank.