Register Now
DC

Community Chat #1

On 3/17/2021 at 9:05 AM, The Blackangel said:

I'm just sitting here enjoying the storm. There's flash floods all around, explosive thunder powerful enough to shake my house, and it's dark as hell outside. These are the days I live for.

Is it just a powerful thunderstorm or something else?

16 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Is it just a powerful thunderstorm or something else?

Just a storm. We get them like this once in a while. There were no tornado reports or warnings. If I lived on the coast, it probably would have been classified as a tropical storm. For those who don't know, that's the classification below hurricane. But since I'm landlocked in the middle of the country, unless a hurricane was so big that the asshole in the middle of it was Dallas, I don't have to worry about one hitting me. All we have here where I live are tornadoes and floods. I remember the flood of 1993. that one wiped out half the state. Land around the river area was under more than 40' of water. Two story houses were completely submerged. The only way around a hell of a lot of Missouri was by boat. Cars were useless unless you lived hours away from the flood plains, or were way the hell above sea level. Cars were also underwater. Unless you had a bug since those fuckers float for some weird reason. Then you could drive your car, erm, boat, erm, car, WHAT THE HELL EVER IT WAS IN THAT SITUATION.

On 3/21/2021 at 4:10 PM, The Blackangel said:

Just a storm. We get them like this once in a while. There were no tornado reports or warnings. If I lived on the coast, it probably would have been classified as a tropical storm. For those who don't know, that's the classification below hurricane. But since I'm landlocked in the middle of the country, unless a hurricane was so big that the asshole in the middle of it was Dallas, I don't have to worry about one hitting me. All we have here where I live are tornadoes and floods. I remember the flood of 1993. that one wiped out half the state. Land around the river area was under more than 40' of water. Two story houses were completely submerged. The only way around a hell of a lot of Missouri was by boat. Cars were useless unless you lived hours away from the flood plains, or were way the hell above sea level. Cars were also underwater. Unless you had a bug since those fuckers float for some weird reason. Then you could drive your car, erm, boat, erm, car, WHAT THE HELL EVER IT WAS IN THAT SITUATION.

I think you'd need a raft or boat for that situation. The worst we have to worry about is hurricances and normally they always hit every other island in the Caribbean except us for some reason. Haiti has to be the most unlucky country I know because those hurricanes always swerve away from us and hit them for some reason.

I've been to every island in the Caribbean except Cuba. I saw some remnants of the devastation of Katrina years after her, and it was mind boggling. I saw the destruction of the F5 after it hit Joplin as that's just a couple hours from me. The entire state of Missouri was freaked out. We get tornadoes a lot, but never any that big. Typically, we don't see anything over an F2. Just something enough to throw light debris around and maybe spin your car around. At one of the lakes here, there was a "ride" called Tornado. What it was, was basically a high pressure fan that would push you up a conical tube that looked like a tornado and shoot you out into the water. You had to be 21 and sign a waiver to ride it. Mainly because you could get pretty damn high, and after you pass a certain height, hitting water is like hitting concrete. It was shut down at the end of the season.

16 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I've been to every island in the Caribbean except Cuba. I saw some remnants of the devastation of Katrina years after her, and it was mind boggling. I saw the destruction of the F5 after it hit Joplin as that's just a couple hours from me. The entire state of Missouri was freaked out. We get tornadoes a lot, but never any that big. Typically, we don't see anything over an F2. Just something enough to throw light debris around and maybe spin your car around. At one of the lakes here, there was a "ride" called Tornado. What it was, was basically a high pressure fan that would push you up a conical tube that looked like a tornado and shoot you out into the water. You had to be 21 and sign a waiver to ride it. Mainly because you could get pretty damn high, and after you pass a certain height, hitting water is like hitting concrete. It was shut down at the end of the season.

Haiti is also the poorest so even though the other Caribbean countries chip in to help them out especially after disasters, they still have to receive aid from the first world countries such as the USA. That tornado ride sounds like a wild time - I don't know, I'd probably give it a go because I've jumped off pretty high cliffs into very deep waters so hitting the water isn't that much of an issue. I mean it hurts but once you position yourself properly, you can minimize an injuries.

I've seen videos and whatnot of cliff divers, and I always thought it looked fun, but I'm too afraid of heights to be able to do it. Also I'm aquaphobic, so that doesn't help. Anything past my nipples and it's too deep. But I also prefer to just sit in the surf, again, no deeper than my nipples.

What island do you live on?

On 3/24/2021 at 8:42 AM, The Blackangel said:

I've seen videos and whatnot of cliff divers, and I always thought it looked fun, but I'm too afraid of heights to be able to do it. Also I'm aquaphobic, so that doesn't help. Anything past my nipples and it's too deep. But I also prefer to just sit in the surf, again, no deeper than my nipples.

What island do you live on?

I live in Jamaica. Don't worry, most people I know also hate the water but I'm one of the few exceptions. I don't mind it all - I just ensure that I take the necessary precautions to stay safe.

On 4/1/2021 at 9:26 AM, AndreiMirfi said:

I've been telling @DC that I'm stuck with school exams.

That's the only thing that I can't avoid.

You know I love this community.

I was only kidding by the way - school exams are the best part of the year if you're prepared and the worse part if unprepared. I always hated going to classes when I was younger but I didn't mind the exams at all.

On 4/2/2021 at 9:56 PM, killamch89 said:

I was only kidding by the way - school exams are the best part of the year if you're prepared and the worse part if unprepared. I always hated going to classes when I was younger but I didn't mind the exams at all.

I just want to get to a good high school.