Register Now
Lamarr the strelok

Ray tracing:yay or meh?

On 10/6/2021 at 12:56 AM, skyfire said:

Now that from this month the lockdowns and the home stay has been reduced I am sure the tech would pick up. I think ray tracing based content will be there in most workshops in real time soon. 

I'd have to disagree - it's been three years since it's been out and one and a half years after the pandemic and most developers still haven't added it to their games and most people don't even use the feature. At the rate this is going, I'm giving another three years before we see any significant increase in adoption rates.

9 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I'd have to disagree - it's been three years since it's been out and one and a half years after the pandemic and most developers still haven't added it to their games and most people don't even use the feature. At the rate this is going, I'm giving another three years before we see any significant increase in adoption rates.

Seriously, I believe that the outbreak of the pandemic of coronavirus nailed the last nails in its coffin. Even till now, I haven't seen its usage increased. 

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

It is increasing but at a far slower rate.

Yeah - with time which we don't have any timeframe, it's definitely going to be brought to its knees and dealt. I remember the time of Ebola virus, it was dealt with. 

4 hours ago, Lamarr the strelok said:

I think I've been reading too much hype around ray tracing.To me it's sorta like a bragging rights thing.The tech sites ALWAYS push the most expensive option.I guess the high dollar systems can tell a difference but that's too much for me.

Isn't everything about the money when it comes to how these companies operate? They can't do without it, in fact it's the very existence why they operate. 

I'm aware of what corporations are for. I was talking about the tech sites tripping over each other praising the newest and most expensive products. A 3090 I'm sure is awesome but they imply you're missing out with something less than a 3090.The ps4 is ignored even though they're still releasing games for it.