Register Now
StaceyPowers

What’s the most boring quest you remember ever doing?

I've told this story a load of times, but not in the detail I'm about to. I had intentions to do a video on it, and perhaps some day I will. This is the most boring quest I've ever done, and I loved every second of it.

Once upon a time in Azeroth, Lady ADHD had decided that I should partake in a quest. The quest was to become a Bloodsail Admiral. The requirements? To quite simply reach the reputation of Honoured with the Bloodsail Buccaneers. Reputation in World of Warcraft is as follows: Hated (-36000 reputation), Hostile, Unfriendly, Neutral (3,000 reputation), Friendly (6,000 reputation), Honoured (12,000 reputation), Revered (21,000 reputation), and finally Exalted, which you become upon finishing Revered. Typically a faction starts at Neutral; they won't engage in combat unless you attack first, provided the game even lets you attack that particular faction.

The Bloodsail do not.

The Bloodsail are the sworn enemies of Booty Bay, one of the Steamwheedle Cartel (neutral goblin) towns, and your quest hub. In order to begin to gain reputation with the Bloodsail, I had to reach a point where Booty Bay was "phased," which means I'm stuck in a stasis of some sort. This is during a quest when the port town is under attack, and that only I and other players on this exact quest can see the Bloodsail invaders attacking, with flaming buildings and - most importantly - weakened Booty Bay Bruisers, the previously super high level guards. Bruisers themselves don't offer reputation per kill, but the townsfolk do, and the Bloodsail invaders who get caught in my attacks don't penalise me with reputation loss. So I began with my Druid, circling the town, killing people.... for one and two reputation points at a time.

I had to go from about Unfriendly, which takes 3,000 to rank up to Neutral, and then Neutral to Honoured (18,000 total points), with about 3 rep for every two NPCs killed.

After spending a few full-time days doing this, I had eventually received my title, my hat, and some clothes I couldn't transmogrify such as a Bloodsail sash and shirt. Still hot-blooded after days of grinding, I decided to take this a step further for a title of even greater renown:

Insane in the Membrane.

Called so because it was insane to attempt it. There was no benefit to reaching Exalted with the requisite factions besides a title; no gear, no tabards, no mounts. There was virtually no roleplay value either, but that's a criticism of the game itself rather than this one achievement. The factions involved were all the Steamwheedle Cartel towns (Booty Bay, Everlook, Gadgetzan and Ratchet), the Darkmoon Faire, and Ravenholdt.

The Steamwheedle Cartel was fairly straightfoward: kill Bloodsail nearby.... at the cost of reputation with them. More on that later. The Darkmoon Faire were only around during the first week of the month, and in a game where you pay a monthly subscription to play, you can imagine the issues that would've caused. We'll get around to that shortly. I decided I'd take a break from the Cartel's requirements and do Ravenholdt, so off to the Arathi Highlands I go.

Ravenholdt are a faction of assassins, who have played roles involving Stormwind's SI:6 and several Rogue class questlines. I have the honour of getting my guild's Fangs of the Father, which involved that faction. Ahem. My goal is simple: gain reputation with them from Neutral to Honoured by killing members of the Syndicate, a rival faction which has mages in its ranks. Fun fact: you can level up Syndicate reputation to Honoured, but this takes considerably longer because there's only one place to farm rep, and there's nowhere near as many NPCs to harvest. Again, no rewards either except dubious bragging rights.

There were some difficulties to this reputation. Arathi Highlands is significant for two reasons:

1. It is the first zone in the Eastern Kingdoms where Horde and Alliance players are likely to meet, and will be level appropriate for the zone.
  2. It's a massive quest hub.

This meant I had to contend with lower level players stealing the kills I was rightfully stealing. Having some sense of honour I would let lowbies 'tag' mobs and help them kill them so they could move on with their quests and let me carry on with my lengthy task. Eventually I finished my grim harvest, only to find in order to advance my reputation I would have to hand in some lockboxes to the faction.

Another fun fact: lockboxes can't be sold on the auction house, meaning you have to go farm them or pay someone to do it. I'm poor, have several TV shows to get through, and like farming, so I set to. I sent to the Isle of Quel'Denas to slaughter what must've been thousands of Murlocs to get their lockboxes, each Murloc having a 1-in-3 chance of having a box.

World of Warcraft has bag space rather than encumberance or weight. A feather takes up the same space in a bag as a falchion, or indeed, a lockbox. This meant numerous trips to the mailbox, having my Forsaken Rogue send them to my Troll Druid, who was turning them in for reputation from a town not far from the guildhall.

During all this, the Darkmoon Faire was on, which was fortunate. This meant doing their daily quests each day, their profession quests for each time I was there, and handing in Darkmoon Decks. I had my Pandaren Shaman buy the reagents to craft Darkmoon Decks (tarot cards, essentially) and mail them to my Druid so they could be turned in for reputation. If I recall correctly they netted me between 5-15 reputation each. Again, I needed 42thousand reputation total before this week was over. If you'd ever seen a Pandaren's hands become ablaze, that was me putting on my sigma hustle.

After all that, I had unceremoniously handed in the final deck to the applause of one person who had just logged on that morning. I was dead chuffed, and the one who had just logged on had long been Insane.

And so, on the 10th of June, I came to be known as Johní the Insane.

I remember in Eden Eternal (an MMO), one of the quests had you capturing 900 butterflies and it was throughout the landscape so you really had to travel to different parts and it was the ultimate grindfest. I literally had to set aside a day just to do it because I was not going to keep catching butterflies daily.