Register Now
Kane99

Genres of games we don't get as often anymore

What would you guys say are some genres of video games we don't see enough of anymore? 

Genres I feel that aren't as huge these day are; rhythm games, music/instrument games, motocross games (someone mentioned this genre in another topic recently) and I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but I'm sure there is a lot of genres left in the dust these days. 

Are there some genres you feel deserve more love these days? If so, which ones?

My vote would go to sea exploration games.  Operation Neptune for the PC would be one.  There was also an underwater exploration type game for the PS1 that I had on a demo disc.  I forget the title, but it came out around 1998 or so on the same demo disc that had Steel Reign and that CART Champ Car game.

On 12/2/2021 at 10:59 PM, Family sedan said:

My vote would go to sea exploration games.  Operation Neptune for the PC would be one.  There was also an underwater exploration type game for the PS1 that I had on a demo disc.  I forget the title, but it came out around 1998 or so on the same demo disc that had Steel Reign and that CART Champ Car game.

I feel like we get a lot of that with open world games these days. I mean Skyrim, just being 10 years old at this point (I think), is an exploration game. I'd argue that RDR1 and 2 are exploration games in a sense. But I get what you mean, you want games focussed on exploration only. I feel like a lot of point and click games worked in that genre. We don't see a lot of point and click games anymore. 

On 12/2/2021 at 11:00 PM, Family sedan said:

And Parappa the Rappa.

I played a demo of it growing up, but always wondered about playing the full game. I'd love to see more rhythm based games that just use a controller and require timing.