Register Now
Crazycrab

Why you need to watch Arcane League of Legends... RIGHT NOW! (No Spoilers)

arcaned.jpg

I know what some of you are probably thinking, how could an adaptation of a relatively plotless M.O.B.A be made into a linear series?  I was thinking the same thing when I started to see a handful of online reviewers giving what's basically League Of Legends' 10 birthday present to itself a considerable amount of praise.  Now I've just got done watching the 9 episodes of season 1 on Netflix and I can say with confidence that Arcane League of Legends is the greatest adaptation of of a video game IP to date. 

So many attempts to bring an interactive game into a non-interactive media are mediocre at best and down right embarrassing at their worst.  This however, goes so far beyond it's source it's staggering.  I admit I don't know that much about League of Legends or it's lore or whatever but the quality presented here is absolutely top of the line whether your a fan or not.

First of all if you haven't seen it yet, FUCK THIS THREAD AND GO WATCH IT!  I won't be spoiling it or anything your just WAY better off spending your time doing that than reading my dribble.  It will still be here when you come back....

.... You done?  Good.

The first thing I want to comment on is the fantastic art style.  They've taken the game's art style but really darkened things up with excellent lighting creating deep shadows immersive environments.  It really helps to sell the more mature and complex tones the show is going for.  In terms of appearance this is one of the freshest and most original, yet still palatable looking shows I have seen in a long time.

The animation is outstanding.  There is so much fluidity in the movement and facial expressions even during the action sequences where the camera will often get right up close faces deform and teeth fly out.  Not forgetting the action sequences themselves which are quick and exiting but using just enough of those zoom in's and slow motion for that wow factor.  This of course is all supported by the fantastic sound design and voice acting, there's not a single weak performance in this.  The soundtrack is cool two mixing ambient tones and more well known tracks which would seem out of place normally but here it just adds to the shows slick off-beat style.

My favourite thing though is exactly what it should be, the story and characters.  I'll keep it as brief as possible and just give a basic rundown of the premise.  It's essentially and origins story for a number of Champions that are playable in the game.  There are two main factions.  The decadent and sophisticated citizens of Piltover and those across the river in the oppressed underground of Zaun who often have to resort to criminal activity in order to survive.  I'm not going to say anything beyond that about the plot but it's a very mature and intelligent story with lots of clever twists and engaging arcs where both sides have legitimate grievances.  Every character is exceptionally well written and complex and you still sympathise with even when they do some pretty horrible things.

So to sum up... The style is cool, the plot is engaging, the lore is interesting, the characters are complex, the action is jaw dropping, the drama is deep and the overall execution is flawless.

So that's my thoughts.  I would like to thank you for reading them and of course I would love to hear yours, but if you haven't seen Arcane League of Legends yet I've got to ask...

First of all if you haven't seen it yet, FUCK THIS THREAD AND GO WATCH IT!

Why are you still here?

Edited by Crazycrab

56 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I'll have to check this out - I can't League of Legends has an adaptation. I've never played the game but I'm intrigued for sure.

I've never played the game before either but trust me.... It REALLY doesn't matter.  Even if you just consider it a stand alone series I can't scream it's praises enough, it's SO fucking good!  I'm sure you won't regret it.

It was a great series 10/10. The first thing that caught my attention was the animation, at first the story felt kinda week. But by the 3rd episode I was like NO FUCKING WAYYY!!!! I had only played League of legends a couple of times so I didnt really knew the characters. (I though the blue hairl girl was the protagonist because I had seen her a couple of times before) Anyway great series, cant wait for season 2

2 hours ago, kingpotato said:

at first the story felt kinda week. But by the 3rd episode I was like NO FUCKING WAYYY!!!!

I remember that bit.  If you got through the first three episodes, watched that scene and come out not being totally hooked there is something wrong with you!  Even if you seen it coming.