Register Now
Kane99

Games where you control a cat, dog or other animal

What are some of your favorite games that feature a cat, dog, or other animal as a main character? Nothing like what Daxter was in Jak and Daxter, but more a realistic animal that you can control in game. I know there are a few games where you can play as a dog, I'm sure there are some where you can even play as a cat. I know GTA V gives you the ability to play as any animal, at least for fun. 

But, are there any other games, good games, that feature a playable animal as the main playable character?

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

Untitled Goose Game is rather goofy, but still fun. Basically you're just playing as a goose and your main intent in the game is to be an asshole.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that one. I played that one all the way through, was a pretty fun game. I also forgot about Goat Simulator, that one I'd say counts here. But yeah, Untitled Goose Game was a blast. I wish it was a lot longer though, because it felt really short. Maybe they expected you to replay it over and over. 

Dog's Life was a really good platform-adventure game that is unlikely to be replicated any time soon, for better or for worse. The premise was you were a crude American Foxhound by the name of Jake, trying to seduce the labrador Daisy. She's dognapped, and you have to collect bones (with no small amount of Pedigree product placements) to unlock new levels and ultimately rescue her.

For starters, you feel like you're controlling a four legged animal, which few games attempt and fewer games make feel good. Spyro the Dragon is just the sort of game for this when you pay attention to its controls. It would be a very different game if Spyro was a bipedal character, with or without flight. Because of this, there's platforming that requires long jumps which Jake suits, but also troublesome travel rounding corners or making tight turns.

It had some interesting ideas; smellovision was essentially Donkey Kong 64's different coloured bananas for each character, except in first person, in black and white, and would encourage exploration if you managed to stay on track following the different coloured smells. You could also take control of different dogs to perform the tasks they're bred for, such as herding sheep, scaring off crows, guarding a property, getting into tight places, and so forth. In order to do so though, you may need to bribe them or beat them in a mini-game. Only a dog could get away with saying "oh goodie, a peeing minigame" as gleefully as Jake does.

You could also defecate with a disgusting amount of detail, and you might have passersby comment on your dirty deeds. Chasing cats, stealing sausages, and getting pampered were some other activities you could involve yourself in.

All in all, a fine game that proved to be a good few hours' fun and may provide some frustration for a completionist. It's definitely worth getting the PS2 out to play again at some stage. I'd do it just for the killer soundtrack.

Edited by Withywarlock

18 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

Dog's Life was a really good platform-adventure game that is unlikely to be replicated any time soon, for better or for worse. The premise was you were a crude American Foxhound by the name of Jake, trying to seduce the labrador Daisy. She's dognapped, and you have to collect bones (with no small amount of Pedigree product placements) to unlock new levels and ultimately rescue her.

For starters, you feel like you're controlling a four legged animal, which few games attempt and fewer games make feel good. Spyro the Dragon is just the sort of game for this when you pay attention to its controls. It would be a very different game if Spyro was a bipedal character, with or without flight. Because of this, there's platforming that requires long jumps which Jake suits, but also troublesome travel rounding corners or making tight turns.

It had some interesting ideas; smellovision was essentially Donkey Kong 64's different coloured bananas for each character, except in first person, in black and white, and would encourage exploration if you managed to stay on track following the different coloured smells. You could also take control of different dogs to perform the tasks they're bred for, such as herding sheep, scaring off crows, guarding a property, getting into tight places, and so forth. In order to do so though, you may need to bribe them or beat them in a mini-game. Only a dog could get away with saying "oh goodie, a peeing minigame" as gleefully as Jake does.

You could also defecate with a disgusting amount of detail, and you might have passersby comment on your dirty deeds. Chasing cats, stealing sausages, and getting pampered were some other activities you could involve yourself in.

All in all, a fine game that proved to be a good few hours' fun and may provide some frustration for a completionist. It's definitely worth getting the PS2 out to play again at some stage. I'd do it just for the killer soundtrack.

I believe Dog's Life was the one I played in demo form all those years ago, pretty sure on the PS2 at one point. I don't remember much about the demo, but I remembered the controls were fairly decent. I need to replay Spyro, haven't played it since I played the original on the PS1 back with my nephew. It's been a long time. 

But yeah, I'll have to revisit Dog's Life and maybe Spyro while I'm at it. Thanks for the suggestions!