Register Now
Patrik

CPU's do actually age pretty well

i was pretty surprised that a CPU from 2009 is still managing to deliver 60 fps+ in most of modern games, which got me thinking that upgrading CPU in a gaming rig should be given a low priority (unless you're moving from a range to another, so you avoid bottleneck)

what do you think?

i forgot to mention some details there.

there are some other things than performance that matter too such as power consumption etc... but generally, CPU is still probably the only part that's gonna survive the longer (some decent PSU's and RAMs too) in your pc without having to upgrade!

On 2/28/2022 at 7:10 AM, skyfire said:

Just wait till the end of this year. I am sure you are going to see some good processors in near times.

so the ones that were supposed to be the best get cheaper and we buy them ? excited xD

in general CPUs ment to last if you look after yur gear and even most older processor can be overclocked to maximize there performance to even boost them at 5ghz 🙂 Yes newer CPU are better regards higher speeds and core/threads and power consumption, well 12th gen are higher power consumption in terms of that but also new tech in there xhips to support PCI-4 and whatnot. Older CPUs doesn't support far newer chipset 😞 

I still have an old i7-3930K and it is still a beast 🙂 6 cores with 12 threads that easy can OC to over 4.8ghz 🙂  

23 hours ago, Empire said:

Older CPUs doesn't support far newer chipset

or some newer games either due to architecture and compatibility reasons 😢 

23 hours ago, Empire said:

I still have an old i7-3930K and it is still a beast 🙂 6 cores with 12 threads that easy can OC to over 4.8ghz 🙂  

i got a Xeon X5670, it's a 6C/12T CPU as well that boosts to 3.3 GHz, i got no decent cooler around so im still on stock speed with HT disabled for less temperature and more stability 😄