Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games with the best critiques of (extreme) capitalism?

I think extreme capitalism is probably what crony capitalism is. There are many games that have this sort of dystopian environment where corporate power acts as government. I can't think of games that do a solid critique on it. Mostly, it's an evil you try to overcome. For me, a critique would be how exactly things came to be, the motivations, the events, and solutions. There is a lot of reading material in Cyberpunk 2077 and corporate wars, rise of power; but I haven't encountered much about how people were subjugated. I think how and why people were subjugated into allowing corporate trickery to take hold is a key concept that is rarely explained in games. 

On 5/6/2022 at 1:18 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I think extreme capitalism is probably what crony capitalism is. There are many games that have this sort of dystopian environment where corporate power acts as government. I can't think of games that do a solid critique on it. Mostly, it's an evil you try to overcome. For me, a critique would be how exactly things came to be, the motivations, the events, and solutions. There is a lot of reading material in Cyberpunk 2077 and corporate wars, rise of power; but I haven't encountered much about how people were subjugated. I think how and why people were subjugated into allowing corporate trickery to take hold is a key concept that is rarely explained in games. 

In some situations, they don't have much to put up a fight with against the corporate entities because the situation of things have left them vulnerable to depend fully on what the corporate bodies have to offer.