Register Now
NightmareFarm

Sequels that feel radically different from it's predecessors?

What games do you think feel completely different from previous games in the series or like it's another series? Spin offs and reboots/remakes don't count.

My list:

- Aragami 2(they did a complete 180 from AG 1. Pretty much a sequel in name alone)

- Final Fantasy XIII(Feels like a different type of RPG but still not as changeful as XV)

- Final Fantasy XV(Probably the most different feeling game on this list. An FF game in name alone)

- Devil May Cry 5(probably the least changeful compared to the other games on this list but still very different than prev games with influence from the reboot)

- Metal Gear Solid V(Completely changes the formula with open world mission based structure)

- Darksiders 3(went the soulsy route)

Edited by NightmareFarm

i'll just list some recent ones i can think of  :

Project Cars 3 -> Went from a semi sim racing game to a more arcade style racing game.

Yakuza like a dragon -> Went to full turn based rpg route instead of the usual beat em up style gameplay.

Witcher series -> Went full open world with the third installement instead of the more semi linear style from the previous 2 entries. 

Assasins creed Odyssey/origins/valhalla -> Went from a "stealth" experience to a full blown action rpg.

Grand theft auto 3 -> Ditched the top down view of the first 2 games and it's spin off  for an full 3d open world

Fallout series -> Went from top down turn based rpg to 3d first person rpg

Zelda series -> Name whatever game you want here, especially the first and second game are a good example how different they are

Starfox Adventures -> Pretty much had nothing to do with the on rail shooter that was the first game.

Resident Evil -> Where do you even begin with this one, after the third game each game feels like it could be a new ip.

Banjo and Kazooie nuts and bolds -> I like this game but it's a car creation game instead of a platformer.

Metroid Prime -> yeah this needs not explination

I'm sure i could list atleast 15 more but i'll leave that up to others. There's a ton of obscure franchises i can think off like front mission went from tactical strategy rpg to a full blown action game with mixed results. 

Breath of the Wild: It just doesn't feel like a Zelda game, it feels like an Ubisoft mono-genre game with a Zelda skin pack applied. This is one of my biggest gripes with it.

Final Fantasy XV: Threw away any pretense of being a classic JRPG to become an inferior version of Kingdom Hearts.

Bomberman Zero: Threw away the cartoony aesthetic of the older games to look like a halo/doom clone with nothing but the name to link it to its predecessors.

1 hour ago, HowHammerYou said:

Breath of the Wild: It just doesn't feel like a Zelda game, it feels like an Ubisoft mono-genre game with a Zelda skin pack applied. This is one of my biggest gripes with it.

Final Fantasy XV: Threw away any pretense of being a classic JRPG to become an inferior version of Kingdom Hearts.

Bomberman Zero: Threw away the cartoony aesthetic of the older games to look like a halo/doom clone with nothing but the name to link it to its predecessors.

FFXV is basically a mainline FF game in name alone(well there's also that it was originally going to be a spin off). Like it shares some terms with prev ff games like names of items and chocobos and stuff but that's about it, the gameplay, setting and exploration couldn't be any more different. Not that it makes it worse of course.

15 minutes ago, Grungie said:

Most of the Final Fantasy games aren’t that similar to each other, so I find it weird to single out FF13 and 15. I’m not sure what made those two less “Final Fantasy” than the others.

FF1-9 aren't the same but are relatively similar. 10 was a huge step up technologically and made some big changes but still retained the series core DNA. 12 feels like a return to form, the lore and setting feels very final fantasy for one. Now FF13? 13's battle system is much more complex and unique for a FF game(like being focused around the stagger mechanic for one) and so is it's cyberpunk setting and it's lore revolving around l'cies, falcies, cocoon, the purge, etc. It doesn't recycle much of the shared lore but between FF games it's almost like an entirely different IP. FF15 is self explanatory. Literally everything about it. I don't need to go into this, just everything. The seamless open world, KH like combat, save system, "fantasy based on reality" setting, magic being an item, etc etc etc. Like I said, It is an FF game in name alone. Then again, this shouldn't be a surprise since it was originally intended to be FF Versus XIII, a spinoff game. 

Edited by NightmareFarm

7 minutes ago, NightmareFarm said:

Pretty obvious stuff. Like 13's battle system is much more complex and unique for a FF game and so is it's setting and lore. It doesn't recycle much of the shared lore but between FF games it's almost like an entirely different IP. FF15 is self explanatory. Literally everything about it.

Idk what you're talking about "shared lore", as none of the games have anything to do with each other. They all have chocobos and someone named Cid, and occasionally Moogles. Sometimes the summons are the same, but others have unique summons.

I think 12's battle system is more complex with the gambit system, and then there's 8's junction system. Idk what you mean by "everything" with FF15, as you have to actually quantify it as opposed to just saying "everything". There's definitely a lot of stuff associated with Final Fantasy in it.

Edited by Grungie

18 minutes ago, Grungie said:

Idk what you're talking about "shared lore", as none of the games have anything to do with each other. They all have chocobos and someone named Cid, and occasionally Moogles. Sometimes the summons are the same, but others have unique summons.

I think 12's battle system is more complex with the gambit system, and then there's 8's junction system. Idk what you mean by "everything" with FF15, as you have to actually quantify it as opposed to just saying "everything". There's definitely a lot of stuff associated with Final Fantasy in it.

I already mentioned several aspects in which is completely different from previous games. Seamless open world without screen transitions for battles, action based combat which is focused around teleporting a very rare or in some cases non-existant magic in previous FF games, magic being reduced to a bomb, summons taking a back seat. The setting being based on reality, QTE set pieces, etc. Like if FF15 is a faithful FF game then what isn't a faithful sequal? It is as far away form it's predecessors as a sequel can get. Just because it shares names from previous games like "Chocobos" or "Ifrit" or "Phoenix Down" doesn't mean it isn't a radical departure of pretty much all of the series core tenets. I'm not saying it's bad, in fact it is one of my top 4 FF games but it might as well be a different IP. It's like if the next pokemon game was a photorealistic open world game with beat em up action gameplay.

Edited by NightmareFarm

7 minutes ago, NightmareFarm said:

I already mentioned several aspects in which is completely different from previous games. Seamless open world without screen transitions for battles, action based combat which is focused around teleporting a very rare or in some cases non-existant magic in previous FF games, magic being reduced to a bomb, summons taking a back seat. The setting being based on reality, QTE set pieces, etc. Like if FF15 is a faithful FF game then what isn't a faithful sequal? It is as far away form it's predecessors as a sequel can get. Just because it shares names from previous games like "Chocobos" or "Ifrit" or "Phoenix Down" doesn't mean it isn't a radical departure of pretty much all of the series core tenets. I'm not saying it's bad, in fact it is one of my top 4 FF games but it might as well be a different IP. It's like if the next pokemon game was a photorealistic open world game with beat em up action gameplay.

Where does FF12 come into play? It doesn't play like any other FF game. To be honest, most Final Fantasy games don't have much tying them together outside of magic, summons, and item names. I've been in the fandom long enough to see basically every game considered "not a real FF game"

Edited by Grungie

7 minutes ago, Grungie said:

Where does FF12 come into play? It doesn't play like any other FF game.

Much much closer to the typical FF format than 15. It is turn based even if it gives off the illusion of being action based. It is semi open world, the setting and lore couldn't be any more FF. Weapon system is a lot like the NES era games. And so is the progression system. It is the most "FF" game after FF9. 

Edited by NightmareFarm

11 minutes ago, NightmareFarm said:

Much much closer to the typical FF format than 15. It is turn based even if it gives off the illusion of being action based. It is semi open world, the setting and lore couldn't be any more FF. Weapon system is a lot like the NES era games. And so is the progression system. It is the most "FF" game after FF9. 

I don’t know what you’re talking about with the weapon system of FF1-3. What did they do different from any other basic weapon system in RPG’s or most other FF games?

I’m curious what makes a game “more Final Fantasy” than others, and I still didn’t get an answer about the shared lore that other FF games have.

Did you know FF12 was the most hated FF game for awhile? So this newfound love the internet has for it is really weird. 9 was also hated for quite awhile…

23 minutes ago, Grungie said:

Where does FF12 come into play? It doesn't play like any other FF game. To be honest, most Final Fantasy games don't have much tying them together outside of magic, summons, and item names. I've been in the fandom long enough to see basically every game considered "not a real FF game"

Have you played at least 2 or 3 FF games before FF10? Oldschool FF games are extremely formulaic, almost pokemon level. FF10 and 12 also retain the same core DNA even if they feel modernised. But yes, I would agree that 13, 14 and 15 are not "real FF games". I mean I think 13 and 15 are underrated but no they aren't real FF games. In fact, tales of series games are arguably closer to traditional FF than those two FF games are.

Edited by NightmareFarm

8 minutes ago, Grungie said:

I don’t know what you’re talking about with the weapon system of FF1-3. What did they do different from any other basic weapon system in RPG’s or most other FF games?

I’m curious what makes a game “more Final Fantasy” than others, and I still didn’t get an answer about the shared lore that other FF games have.

Did you know FF12 was the most hated FF game for awhile? So this newfound love the internet has for it is really weird. 9 was also hated for quite awhile…

I mentioned twice the various aspects of FF15 which are a radical departure from the series norms. If you played some of the traditional FF games you would know why it is a completely different game.

Edited by NightmareFarm

22 minutes ago, NightmareFarm said:

Have you played at least 2 or 3 FF games before FF10? Oldschool FF games are extremely formulaic, almost pokemon level. FF10 and 12 also retain the same core DNA even if they feel modernised. But yes, I would agree that 13, 14 and 15 are not "real FF games". I mean I think 13 and 15 are underrated but no they aren't real FF games. In fact, tales of series games are arguably closer to traditional FF than those two FF games are.

No, I definitely do not know what I'm talking about with FF, this picture is a lie.

Back to being serious, I don't know what you're talking about with the games being formulaic to the extent of Pokemon. Like how are the games tied to each other? What makes a game more "Final Fantasy" than another? When I play FF 3, it's different from 7, or 6, or 10. None of the lore lines up, it hops between medieval and science fiction, and I haven't seen crystals of the elements mentioned in ages.

When you throw around vague blanket terms, you need to back those up with something quantifiable. I feel like you're using a word salad. "The weapons in 12 are like FF1-3". Like what, how? You need to further elaborate things, and not dodge my questions.

Edited by Grungie